VIDEO : JL JOURNAL - EVO Tire Carrier Installation

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Soon after installing a heavy 37" spare on the factory tire carrier of our Jeep JL Wrangler, Cindy and I had a myriad of people declare that we were for sure, going to jack up our tailgate. Of course, they said they saw it on social media and so it had to be true. I literally had guys trolling me about it on YouTube and demanded that I admit, we would bend or break our tailgate in 6 months or less. It was just nuts! Well, 8 months after the fact - I'm happy to say that our tailgate was still holding up just fine and without any bending or breaking of any kind. However, I'd be lying if I said this setup was a perfect solution. As some of you know, we spend an enormous amount of time bombing across the desert and hard hits would in fact cause the tailgate to move just enough, to make an annoying knocking sound. Needless to say, this was something we wanted to address and did so, with an EVO Tire Carrier. In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, you get to see to install, one on your Jeep JL Wrangler. Thanks for watching and we hope you find our video to be helpful.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Things to Buy
EVO Tire Carrier - https://amzn.to/2tg2AHr
Milwaukee 2767-20 M18 1/2-Inch Impact Wrench - https://amzn.to/2Gr6ogM
Milwaukee 2457-21 M12 3/8-Inch Ratchet - https://amzn.to/2TzLlMz

What You'll Need
• 13, 15, 22mm Socket & Wrench (deep sockets will be helpful)
• 5/8, 13/16, 7/8" Socket & Wrench
• 3/16" Allen Wrench
• Ratchet
• Ratchet Extension
• Torx T-8, T-25, T-40, T-55
• Dead Blow Hammer
• Flathead Screwdriver
• Trim Pry Tool
• Pry Bar
• Flat Razor
• WD40
• Blue Painters Tape

Please let me know if you have any questions. :cool:

benatc1

Hooked
Looks great, great install video too. Certainly seems like a good bit of work, but I will still be installing one down the road. Thanks for sharing

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Looks so much better than Stock.. Clean install. I need one of these soon. Helpful Video. [emoji1417]

Stock works but this is a much better solution for sure.

Looks great, great install video too. Certainly seems like a good bit of work, but I will still be installing one down the road. Thanks for sharing

Fortunately, you only have to install it once. :D

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Great install video as usual. Also great job on editing and I like the music bits [emoji108]. That carrier looks good on the JL. I can totally see myself breaking that camera extension bracket thing, whatever you want to call it, if I would ever have to put that 37s up there by myself [emoji23]. Is that camera extension metal or plastic?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great install video as usual. Also great job on editing and I like the music bits [emoji108]. That carrier looks good on the JL. I can totally see myself breaking that camera extension bracket thing, whatever you want to call it, if I would ever have to put that 37s up there by myself [emoji23]. Is that camera extension metal or plastic?

It's plastic. Strong but plastic.

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Great video and the carrier looks nice. I literally laughed out loud though when you pulled the small bits out of the box, put them on the box, then removed the carrier and the box fell off onto the ground. That was soooo something that would happen to me. 🥃

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video Eddie and Cindy. I’ve been curious how well the one for the JK holds up.

The JK ones work great or at least, of the ones I've seen.

Very nice product, excellent video on the install!

Thanks, glad to hear you thought the video was good.

Great piece of hardware, great video! :thumb:

Thank you :)

Great video and the carrier looks nice. I literally laughed out loud though when you pulled the small bits out of the box, put them on the box, then removed the carrier and the box fell off onto the ground. That was soooo something that would happen to me. 🥃

:cheesy: If you watch the video more carefully, you'll see that I removed most of the stuff prior to pulling the carrier out. But, yeah, it still fell :crazyeyes:

that's a lot more than I imagined it would be but look worth the install.

It's a lot of steps for sure but well worth it.

It does look pain in the ass but hey what wouldn’t we do for our jeeps. I am actually surprised that by removing stock hinges there is no paint there

It's always like that. Take off any hinge and you'll see there's no paint.

I really like EVO’s take on the hinged carrier. Way better than the other options out and, after seeing how clean it looks on Clearskies JK, I may ditch my poison spider body mount carrier and go back to a hinged carrier.

Bear_JT

Hooked
Good video Cindy and Eddie. It looks like a lot of work but definitely worth it I’m sure. I’m definitely leaning towards this style of carrier for my JKU.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Well designed product. Looks like a lot a work.

This is what I was thinking.

A lot of steps but not really hard.

Anything other than the tape to help keep things aligned or is there really no way around making the adjustments.

Glad you posted this up. It’s on the short list of mods. BTW, 40s........you suck. Can you just keep one Jeep at a normal build please. [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23] First you went all DTD and 40s withrubicat and now you’re already talking 40s with jet. [emoji35]

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Lol I did the same thing. Watched the box start to tip and fall and I yelled “TIMMMMBBBERRRRRR!” To myself [emoji23][emoji23]

Great video Eddie! Many steps to get this installed but well worth it I’m sure.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I really like EVO’s take on the hinged carrier. Way better than the other options out and, after seeing how clean it looks on Clearskies JK, I may ditch my poison spider body mount carrier and go back to a hinged carrier.

I won't lie, I had my doubts about it when they came out with the JK one but I've since seen how well they hold up and even take a beating and decided to give it a try on our JL. So far, we've been very happy with ours.

Good video Cindy and Eddie. It looks like a lot of work but definitely worth it I’m sure. I’m definitely leaning towards this style of carrier for my JKU.

Well, a lot of steps for sure and it takes a while to install but it's far from hard. Well worth it to me anyway. :cool:

Top Bottom