PSC kit with or without oil cooler

Getting ready to order up a PSC hydro assist kit and I’m trying to decide if I want/need the additional oil cooler that some of their kits include. Currently on 37’s, 40’s are in the distant future but I’ll likely stay in 37’s for at least another set or two. We play a lot in the rocks and obviously spend quite a bit of time in Moab.

Thoughts?

BaddestCross

Getting ready to order up a PSC hydro assist kit and I’m trying to decide if I want/need the additional oil cooler that some of their kits include. Currently on 37’s, 40’s are in the distant future but I’ll likely stay in 37’s for at least another set or two. We play a lot in the rocks and obviously spend quite a bit of time in Moab.

Thoughts?
A cooler is never a bad idea. Cheap insurance.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Ddays

Hooked
Mine whined like hell when I was in Moab in 110* July weather in July a couple years ago. I installed a Derale dual pass afterwards. I'd put it in while you;re at it.

Brute

Hooked
A cooler is never a bad idea. Cheap insurance.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

Any hydraulic system benefits from staying cool.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The cooler will extend the life of the system and the are no cons to adding it.
Agree with fiend and baddestcross.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agree on adding a cooler...the only con is an additional location for leaks (not to mention additional cost)...but the benefits far outweigh the cons...

fiend

Caught the Bug
I agree on adding a cooler...the only con is an additional location for leaks (not to mention additional cost)...but the benefits far outweigh the cons...

The cooler is added on the low pressure side of the system, which reduces risk of failure in that part of the system. I agree the benefits outweigh the cons.

The issues I’ve experienced with my system are ram lines rubbing on things and failure of one of the lines (not caused by rubbing, it turns out), leading to oil spewed all over the place.

SaddleTramp

Get a cooler, radiator style that sits out front in the airflow... ask me how I know, $$$. Make a way for the larger reservoir if you're in a JK too...

Search my "PSC" posts if you want to do it right...

jeeeep

Hooked
if you use the radiator style cooler, pay attention to the hose routing and that they don't move during flexing and that it doesn't mount on the radiator

I noticed less airflow, higher engine temps on the trail.

I swapped out to a Derale heat sink cooler , no radiator blockage and no issues after 4 years

Last edited:

fiend

Caught the Bug
if you use the radiator style cooler, pay attention to the hose routing and that they don't move during flexing and that it doesn't mount on the radiator

I noticed less airflow, higher engine temps on the trail.

I swapped out to a Derale cooler , no radiator blockage and no issues after 4 years

I have the derale heat sink style and it’s been flawless.

Top Bottom