A JK key can start another !

desertbuzz

Something very strange happened today.
I mixed up the key of my 2012 with that of a friend's key (2010 JK) .
Both cars were already unlocked.
His 2010 key turned my ignition and started the engine... But it auto shutdown after 2 seconds.
My key, opened his ignition but didn't start the engine.
This is WRONG and dangerous.
The keys shouldn't even unlock the ignition... Let alone start the engine!!!
How difficult is it for FCA to make keys with unmatched teeth ??

Ddays

Hooked
Something very strange happened today.
I mixed up the key of my 2012 with that of a friend's key (2010 JK) .
Both cars were already unlocked.
His 2010 key turned my ignition and started the engine... But it auto shutdown after 2 seconds.
My key, opened his ignition but didn't start the engine.
This is WRONG and dangerous.
The keys shouldn't even unlock the ignition... Let alone start the engine!!!
How difficult is it for FCA to make keys with unmatched teeth ??

While highly unusual, this is possible to unlock different doors on other vehicles. The odds are really high so that this almost never happens though. The chip embedded in the key prevented the Jeep to stay running so it performed as it should.

trailraider

while there is thousands of key codes and cuts for the vehicles, there is always the possibility of two keys to have the same cut. I have seen it twice in my all my years with Chrysler. Look at all the new fobs, the square nose will fit in any WIN module vehicle. it's all code signatures now. key blank is now basically obsolete.

Last edited:

Dale72

Hooked
while there is thousands of key codes and cuts for the vehicles, there is always the possibility of two keys to have the same cut. I have seen it twice in my all my years with Chrysler. Look at all the new fobs, the square nose will fit in any WIN module vehicle. it's all code signatures now. key blank is now basically obsolete.
But with the fobs once the car is started you can walk away from the car and someone else can drive it as far and long as they don't turn it off and the fobs don't have to be in the car

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
while there is thousands of key codes and cuts for the vehicles, there is always the possibility of two keys to have the same cut. I have seen it twice in my all my years with Chrysler.

I had an old Trailduster I drove in college that had the same key as another guys truck. Once I figured it out I used to totally fuck around with this guy once every week moving his vehicle into different lots. Worked until he did a stakeout and caught me! :cheesy:

But with the fobs once the car is started you can walk away from the car and someone else can drive it as far and long as they don't turn it off and the fobs don't have to be in the car

Will the car shift out of park without the fob in the car? I never tried this but don't think it'll work

trailraider

Will the car shift out of park without the fob in the car? I never tried this but don't think it'll work[/QUOTE said:
It will , we just had a JL stolen last week, salesman left the vehicle running *poof* gone.

Dale72

Hooked
I had an old Trailduster I drove in college that had the same key as another guys truck. Once I figured it out I used to totally fuck around with this guy once every week moving his vehicle into different lots. Worked until he did a stakeout and caught me! :cheesy:

Will the car shift out of park without the fob in the car? I never tried this but don't think it'll work
Yes all you need the fobs for is to start the car that's it

trailraider

I did that to a guy I work with for months, he actually thought he was losing his marbles. I finally broke down and told him it was me. I would always do subtle changes, just enough to notice but not enough to be blatant of what i did.

it was great.

dillard09

It will , we just had a JL stolen last week, salesman left the vehicle running *poof* gone.

My 2017 Raptor I was able go into my truck settings and turn on Secure Idle. This will not let the truck go into gear without the key fob in the truck. I wish I could do that on my Jeep.

Ddays

Hooked
I did that to a guy I work with for months, he actually thought he was losing his marbles. I finally broke down and told him it was me. I would always do subtle changes, just enough to notice but not enough to be blatant of what i did.

it was great.

Haha, that's great! I was so bummed the guy ended up catching me. We had a blast that semester.

trailraider

My 2017 Raptor I was able go into my truck settings and turn on Secure Idle. This will not let the truck go into gear without the key fob in the truck. I wish I could do that on my Jeep.

that's a great feature, I wonder if all Fords have them? it would be a great option for FCA to implement, although they seem to lag behind in electrical forethought .

DMF

This happened to me with a Yukon I had. I sold it to some wholesale guy and when he sent his employees to go pick up the Yukon, they mistakenly got into my neighbors Tahoe. The key open the door and started up the engine but it would die after a few seconds later. They realize the car still had tons of personal items in it, they got out and realized they were in the wrong truck.

jdofmemi

Or you can set the fob down outside, but close enough to start it, and if you forget that it's sitting outside, drive off and loose the key😭
I know someone that happened to.

it was great.

That's evil genius 🤣
I love it.

19YJ94

Caught the Bug
I remember Ford had a key problem with Mustang fox bodies being able to use on other Mustangs.

Bustedback

My dad had a 78 Dodge truck and an 89 Plymouth Voyager. He could use either key for either vehicle.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Top Bottom