Rugged Radios

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Anyone use the RH-5R Rugged handheld radio? Do you like it? Does it need to be programmed, if so is it easy to do?
Do you need to have a license to operate it legally?
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Looks like just a rebranded Baofeng UV-5R radio. It doesn’t look like they have any channels preprogrammed in. And technically yes you have to be licensed to use them, but most people don’t. I have a couple of the baofeng handhelds that I have programmed for gmrs/frs frequencies. They are fairly easy to program on the unit itself. You can also get a programming cable to use your computer to do it much easier and label the channels which you can’t do on the radio itself.

nbunga

Caught the Bug
The RR/GMRS is a lot clearer and better range. But hardly anyone uses them. wjtstudios has a nice midland mobile GMRS unit in his Jeep, its preprogrammed and pretty much plug and play, no tuning needed. The good thing about a CB is everyone has one and they work good for the distances we need them for around here.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The RR/GMRS is a lot clearer and better range. But hardly anyone uses them. wjtstudios has a nice midland mobile GMRS unit in his Jeep, its preprogrammed and pretty much plug and play, no tuning needed. The good thing about a CB is everyone has one and they work good for the distances we need them for around here.

The midland 40 watt GMRS radio is crystal clear at significant range. And as Nbunga said, a simple install. You just have to go online and apply for the license and pay $75 for 10 years. I just wish more people would run them, but it’s relatively new on the market.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
The midland 40 watt GMRS radio is crystal clear at significant range. And as Nbunga said, a simple install. You just have to go online and apply for the license and pay $75 for 10 years. I just wish more people would run them, but it’s relatively new on the market.

Sounding like a real noob here, but most of the descriptions say 2-way. Does that mean it can only communicate with its pair, like a walker talkie?

Coop

Caught the Bug
It will communicate with any radio on the same frequency. 2 way means send and receive.

CalSgt

Hooked
I have the rugged handhelds, they do come pre programmed and labeled with some "race" frequencies like BFGPITS, etc. We use the heck out of them traveling in big groups, we were at KOH all week and except for the outer reaches and canyons we were able to stay in touch with each other easily. We had 7 vehicles with trailers caravanning down there (12 hour drive or so) & we were able to call out for traffic and issues so long as we didn't get too far apart. Some of our group use the BAOFENG ones & we are all able to program in the same channels, and the GMRS/FRMS frequencies mentioned earlier are what comes on the small Motorola walk talkies. I'm pretty sure they are rebranded BAOFENG's like someone said earlier

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

This is the radio I keep going back too. I've had it in the shopping cart several times and just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Top Bottom