2 Q's: 1) Cooper STT Pro or MTP??? 2) Has anyone siped an STT or MTP?

sm31

I've been looking at these 2 tires for my JKUR... My jeep is a daily driver, and I live in AK so that means a lot of snow, ICE, and slush. If I lived in a place with less winter, the STT Pro's would be my #1 choice, as it seems to be for most of the forum. But I have some serious concerns around a full-fledged mud terrain tread design in this environment.

The MTP looks to me like it's a sort of hybrid MT/AT tire... but that really isn't the gist of the description on Cooper's website. Can any MTP owners offer their impressions of the tire? And, why did you choose the MTP over the STT?

Also, has anyone siped either of these tires? If so, what is your impression in icy/slushy conditions? Also, how did the tires wear? Some tires seem to respond favorably to siping while others go to crap within a few thousand miles...

I was also considering the ST Maxx, but have cut it from my list, primarily because my egotistical self doesn't like the look of the sidewall. A more minor reason is that the 315/70/17 is slightly smaller (very slightly) than the 35/12.50/17 available for the STT and MTP.

Thank you for the input!!!

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
I've been looking at these 2 tires for my JKUR... My jeep is a daily driver, and I live in AK so that means a lot of snow, ICE, and slush. If I lived in a place with less winter, the STT Pro's would be my #1 choice, as it seems to be for most of the forum. But I have some serious concerns around a full-fledged mud terrain tread design in this environment.

The MTP looks to me like it's a sort of hybrid MT/AT tire... but that really isn't the gist of the description on Cooper's website. Can any MTP owners offer their impressions of the tire? And, why did you choose the MTP over the STT?

Also, has anyone siped either of these tires? If so, what is your impression in icy/slushy conditions? Also, how did the tires wear? Some tires seem to respond favorably to siping while others go to crap within a few thousand miles...

I was also considering the ST Maxx, but have cut it from my list, primarily because my egotistical self doesn't like the look of the sidewall. A more minor reason is that the 315/70/17 is slightly smaller (very slightly) than the 35/12.50/17 available for the STT and MTP.

Thank you for the input!!!

When did they start making the STT in a 35/12.5/17? When I bought mine last year I don't think they were making them in that size, only the 315/70/17.

sm31

When did they start making the STT in a 35/12.5/17? When I bought mine last year I don't think they were making them in that size, only the 315/70/17.

My bad!!! It was a terrible ASSumption on my part. I have also just learned that the MTP is exclusive to Discount Tire (no stores in these parts). Why can't this be easy??!

Thank you for the correction!

Discount tire ships.
Discount tire direct ships cheaper.
Discount tire direct eBay store has deals normally.

I live in Michigan and have had no issues running the pros in all weather here, no siping needed imo. We still measure snow in inches and not feet though, dunno what part of Alaska your in.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

boardsurfer

The Pros are good in the snow and slush. Like any MT, they leave a little to be desired on hardpacked snow/ice but that is to be expected. I have no regrets driving around the Denver shit show this last week or so. They are predictable and very manageable. I definitely would not call them bad, but it's an MT. You know what you're getting.

My wife's Jeep however, has Ridge Grapplers. They are noticeably better in the same shitty road conditions. Worth considering at least.

Discount Tire

The MTP and STT Pro are both solid options that tend to work out well for many.

As noted, M/T tires tend to perform okay under winter conditions, particularly on hardpack snow and ice - siping may improve performance in these conditions just bear in mind that the siping could increase treadwear rate and the tread block may chunk easier off-road.

It's important to note that the MTP has a 2-ply sidewall for emphasis on ride comfort whereas the STT Pro has a 3-ply sidewall. Depending on the terrain you drive you may need the higher sidewall ply,

sm31

It's important to note that the MTP has a 2-ply sidewall for emphasis on ride comfort whereas the STT Pro has a 3-ply sidewall. Depending on the terrain you drive you may need the higher sidewall ply,

Thank you for this information!! Yet another critical detail I missed. Based on other reviews here, I think I'll go with the STT Pros since there is an odd combination of tree branches and rocks to "challenge" sidewalls around here.

Since my primary concern is hard ice and hard packed snow, I will definitely get them siped and take the hit on longevity. I just hope it doesn't reduce tread life too much.

IMO there is just no other way to safely daily drive an M/T around here. I moved from WY, where conditions were the "usual" rocky mountain weather... and I was shocked to learn just how much worse my M/T's (MTR-K's... blessedly sold along with my old TJ) behaved here. They weren't great before, but sort of passable. Here, they weren't driveable AT ALL. While most M/T's are likely a bit better, there was just too much margin to make up.

Thanks again!

laradz

Siping mud terrain tires

I know this is not about a Cooper tire, but I ran siped Toyo MT on my Superduty and they worked great, so then when I got my Tundra I put siped KM2s on it and the tread blocks just chunked out like crazy and they could not be rebalanced

Top Bottom