Worth it to Regear/what Ratio? Manual JKUR with 35s

dlm_jku

I have a manual 2015 JKUR with the 3" Mopar lift, 295/70r18 (basically skinnier 35s) tires, stock 4.10 axles and I feel like I really have baby the clutch when starting from a stop compared to other stick shift vehicles I've owned. From the charts and posts I've seen, it sounds like 4.56 is probably the most common ratio for my transmission/tire size, but I'm just wondering if it's really worth the cost for that small of a change. I think 4.88s sound great for the lower speeds, I'm just worried it'll wind the engine up too high for longer trips doing about 80 MPH. There's a slight chance I might eventually go to 37s, but not anytime soon.

Has anyone regeared from 4.10 to 4.56 on a similar setup? Was it worth it? Thoughts/regrets?

TheGrendel

I’m on 35s. Manual. Going with 5.13 on Monday. Went back and forth. I’ll be over geared for awhile. But I can go to 37s. If I was 100% sure I was never going 37s then I’d do 4.88.

Last edited:
I think the only regret you might have is not regearing to the correct set of gears. I would recommend as others have said 4.88 if you know for sure you will never get anything larger than 35's. I would recommend 5.13 for 37's. That is what I have and I'm very happy.

desertrunner

I have 4.88s in my 12' manual.
Ran them with 33s and it definitely felt over geared, now running them with 37s and it feels slightly under geared. I wish I had a little more off the line power and low end power off road with the 37s but damn I could chirp the tires with the 33s haha

As far as highway speeds go I honestly can't remember what it was with 33s but on 37s at 70mph I sit at 2700 rpm (I don't drive faster than that haha)

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you really are planning to go 37's some day, I would go with 5.13. If not, I would not especially if you do a lot of highway miles. At highway speeds, you'll always be running on the high side of the RPM's. 4.88 would be a much better ratio or at least, in my opinion. 4.56 is not worth the cost of regearing.

dlm_jku

Thanks for all the input! That's kind of the general consensus I was expecting. I don't do a lot of highway driving, but hope to eventually start making more Jeep trips once the kids get a little older. Being in Nebraska, I've got some ground to cover no matter where we go.

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ajkaz

I was running 4.88 with a 6 speed manual and 37's on my 07 2 door. For me it was a great mix of power and highway RPM. The Rubicon transfer case made higher gears unnecessary when off road.

Top Bottom