I feel so superior without even trying.

Twist

I just put 35's (315/70/17) KO2's on and have been pondering my next move.

Unlike many I am not going to hard core this thing. I'm not going to seek out crazy trails just to conquer them, but I do want to be set up well enough that if I come a crossed some nastys I'll be able to do it. My goal is to keep this jeep as fun to drive on the road as it is stock. I think it's a blast now so it's important to me especially since my objective is a trip to Alaska with my son.

I dont want to bog down the motor with super heavy trail armor so lightweight but effective is key.

I think my next move is Rocker Panel protection. It has the stock rock rails and they are pretty good for what they are but I want a step, protection from crap coming off the tires and yes big errant rocks, door dings in parking lots along with a possible hit in the garage from my wife's car. :D I know it's a jeep but I'll take trail damage all day long rather then someone not thinking. lol

I like LOD hard core rockers but, well they're hard core and HEAVY vs their other model which isnt as good but reasonably stout. The video below is for a JK but they do have it for the JL. According to what I read it's 100lbs vs 60 pounds. So big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woSitNtzJ3U

Let me know what you think.

After that, I'm not sure of the order but pretty much the normal stuff. Bumpers, skid, moderate lift of some sort. All with weight in mind. I've been looking at some alum bumpers and skids. I know they are expensive but I really dont care if it can achieve my objective.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Kinda confused about what you’re seeking here. You want lightweight and stock feel, then you talk about all the heavy mods you want.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

bmkrinne

I’m also confused. Rock guards aren’t going to protect the doors from some asshole in the Walmart parking lot or your kid’s bike striping the side of it in the garage.

If you’re not going to do hardcore off road, then why add all the skid plate armor?

Bear_JT

Hooked
I agree with the others, if you aren’t going to do hard core why skid plate everything? You could probably add the Poison Spyder DIY Rico steps that Exodus Jeeps sells and save the weight of heavy armor but get a step out of what you already have. Or consider aluminum parts.

Twist

Kinda confused about what you’re seeking here. You want lightweight and stock feel, then you talk about all the heavy mods you want.

Looking for mods that arent all that heavy or as heavy, such as the LOD rocker guard in the video. I've seen rear bumpers with a carrier range from 100lb to 160.

Last edited:

Twist

I’m also confused. Rock guards aren’t going to protect the doors from some asshole in the Walmart parking lot or your kid’s bike striping the side of it in the garage.

If you’re not going to do hardcore off road, then why add all the skid plate armor?

Sure they will protect from a-holes. lol Door hits the rocker not the body. Unless of course it's somebody who is lifted high enough. :D

Stock JL skids are pretty crappy. And like I said I will be coming up on some hard core stuff no doubt, I'm just not seeking it out. I'm talking the crazy stuff. Golden Spike, Rubicon and many other trails will be done just not hard core stuff.

Last edited:

Twist

A member here got tboned at 45mph and his quality HEAVY slider took the hit. No damage at all to the frame. The impact snapped his front axle housing from the force. The slider may saved his life as well. Don't go cheap on this shit. If you're going to do it, do it right.

https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/55613-EVO-Mfg-saved-my-Jeep
I take it you didnt look at the video?? Or the price of the rocker. It's actually quite a bit more then the signature series rocker.

I'm not all that worried about price. The alum skid from Artec is 2k and I'm likely going that route.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Sure they will protect from a-holes. lol Door hits the rocker not the body. Unless of course it's somebody who is lifted high enough. :D

Stock JL skids are pretty crappy. And like I said I will be coming up some hard core stuff no doubt, I'm just not seeking it out. I'm talking the crazy stuff.

I think you either want to protect the Jeep when dropping the weight of it on/against a rock..... or you don’t. You can also avoid protection by picking perfect lines.. every time.

WJCO

Meme King
I take it you didnt look at the video?? Or the price of the rocker. It's actually quite a bit more then the signature series rocker.

I'm not all that worried about price. The alum skid from Artec is 2k and I'm likely going that route.

All I'm saying is that when looking at rock sliders, weight shouldn't be a criteria IMO. You want these things to be Stout and quality regardless if they're heavy.

Twist

I think you either want to protect the Jeep when dropping the weight of it on/against a rock..... or you don’t. You can also avoid protection by picking perfect lines.. every time.
The signature series rocker or similar appears to be way overkill for me. The lighter model they offer appears more than adequate to drop the weight of the vehicle on a rock judging from the video and WAY better then the stocker which can take a good hit.

IF someone has any experience with them to say otherwise that would be great.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Stock JL skids are pretty crappy. And like I said I will be coming up on some hard core stuff no doubt, I'm just not seeking it out. I'm talking the crazy stuff. Golden Spike, Rubicon and many other trails will be done just not hard core stuff.

Clearly you haven’t wheeled your jeep at all if you think the factory skids are crappy.

Twist

All I'm saying is that when looking at rock sliders, weight shouldn't be a criteria IMO. You want these things to be Stout and quality regardless if they're heavy.
DId you see the video? Do you have experience with that rocker? I get what your saying but I'm thinking there are rocker guards out there that will blow away the Signature series rocker too, and likely much heavier. At what point is enough enough?

Weight is a killer for performance on and off road. If wheeling hard core trails where even the most protected vehicles get damaged, yeah you go with the best protection you can get despite the weight since the bennys outweigh the disadvantage of weight. But this isnt what I'm going to be doing.

The Artec alum skid plate is a full belly plate. It's net weight is 10lbs. Their claim is it is stouter then metal. I dont believe it but it for sure it protects better then the stock stuff AND I get 3/4 inch more clearance.

I have seen other full belly'd skids for close to 300 pounds. For what I'm doing there is an easy choice.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
DId you see the video? Do you have experience with that rocker? I get what your saying but I'm thinking there are rocker guards out there that will blow away the Signature series rocker too, and likely much heavier. At what point is enough enough?

Weight is a killer for performance on and off road. If wheeling hard core trails where even the most protected vehicles get damaged, yeah you go with the best protection you can get despite the weight since the bennys outweigh the disadvantage of weight. But this isnt what I'm going to be doing.

The Artec alum skid plate is a full belly plate. It's net weight is 10lbs. Their claim is it is stouter then metal. I dont believe it but it for sure it protects better then the stock stuff AND I get 3/4 inch more clearance.

I have seen other full belly'd skids for close to 300 pounds. For what I'm doing there is an easy choice.

You are not smart.

Twist

Clearly you haven’t wheeled your jeep at all if you think the factory skids are crappy.

LOL, No I havent done much at all with it since I know it wont do what I want yet.
Have you seen the JL skids? Have you looked at any that have been wheeled? It's a pretty stupid design. Why would I wheel it thru nasty stuff with such a design, that would be silly.... Maybe my trail riding is harder then what others might be doing??

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
LOL, No I havent done much at all with it since I know it wont do what I want yet.
Have you seen the JL skids? Have you looked at any that have been wheeled? It's a pretty stupid design. Why would I wheel it thru nasty stuff with such a design, that would be silly.... Maybe my trail riding is harder then what others might be doing??

Or maybe it isn’t. Yeah I’ve seen and been with JL’s that have and do wheel hard. Clearly you haven’t.

Twist

Or maybe it isn’t. Yeah I’ve seen and been with JL’s that have and do wheel hard. Clearly you haven’t.

Is there a real purpose for you posts. Do you derive jollys from it? Are you the same person in person? You say you are a smart ass but thus far I havent read anything smart at all. I think we could all benefit if you just buzzed away. If you'd like to change and to post something constructive all would be forgotten. I am hopeful.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Is there a real purpose for you posts. Do you derive jollys from it? Are you the same person in person? You say you are a smart ass but thus far I havent read anything smart at all. I think we could all benefit if you just buzzed away. If you'd like to change and to post something constructive all would be forgotten. I am hopeful.

I never said I was a smart as. You said that.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom