WJ

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I'm looking at a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ with a 4.0 automatic 242 transfer case. Running drives really good it's got a hundred sixty four thousand miles on it. It does show some fluids leaking underneath which I'm going to get checked out however it just had the valve cover gasket replace it has no codes thrown at all. I know this setup has run on several different platforms. I would like everybody's opinions pros and cons on a setup and something like this please and thank you. IMG_20190215_130425475.jpg

WJCO

Meme King
I'm looking at a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ with a 4.0 automatic 242 transfer case. Running drives really good it's got a hundred sixty four thousand miles on it. It does show some fluids leaking underneath which I'm going to get checked out however it just had the valve cover gasket replace it has no codes thrown at all. I know this setup has run on several different platforms. I would like everybody's opinions pros and cons on a setup and something like this please and thank you. View attachment 321052

Are you going to build it or daily it?

trplxj

When I got my WJ I specifically looked for one with a 4.0, My opinion it’s a better engine than the 4.7. If it’s been well maintained and has records to show it I wouldn’t be worried about the mileage.

Mine has 235K on it. The engine runs perfectly, the only issue I have is with the trans. And that’s because the previous owner(s) didn’t have the bands adjusted when it was serviced. The 42re gets a bad rep, but if it’s taken care of properly it’s actually a decent transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Are you going to build it or daily it?

Believe it or not I am going to build and drive it. I have actually been salivating over your build thread and really like your WJ. Always have. Some of the options I'm thinking for one are the notch custom fender flares, Ruby takeoffs like the ones I'm running right now on my JK, a 4.5 in Rusty's short arm because I'll be doing it in a parking lot if I get a house I'll do the long arm kit., Highline front bumper and maybe even a custom tire carrier in the rear too, DB corners...

Last edited:

WJCO

Meme King
Believe it or not I am going to build and drive it. I have actually been salivating over your build thread and really like your WJ. Always have. Some of the options I'm thinking for one are the notch custom fender flares, Ruby takeoffs like the ones I'm running right now on my JK, a 4.5 in Rusty's short arm because I'll be doing it in a parking lot if I get a house I'll do the long arm kit., Highline front bumper and maybe even a custom tire carrier in the rear too, DB corners...

If you're going higher that 3 inches, get the long arm.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
When I got my WJ I specifically looked for one with a 4.0, My opinion it’s a better engine than the 4.7. If it’s been well maintained and has records to show it I wouldn’t be worried about the mileage.

Mine has 235K on it. The engine runs perfectly, the only issue I have is with the trans. And that’s because the previous owner(s) didn’t have the bands adjusted when it was serviced. The 42re gets a bad rep, but if it’s taken care of properly it’s actually a decent transmission.

Good to know. I have read about problems worth the V-8. I've found a Power Nation video on a WJ running the 4.0, 6.5 Rusty's, with 33's. Really digging it. Sweet rig ya got there too!

trplxj

Good to know. I have read about problems worth the V-8. I've found a Power Nation video on a WJ running the 4.0, 6.5 Rusty's, with 33's. Really digging it. Sweet rig ya got there too!

I remember watching that video. That WJ turned out really nice. The aftermarket is starting come around and embrace the WJ.

Thanks. Mines on the extreme end of a WJ build. I’m loving it so far, but it still needs some work before I can tackle any trails. It should be good to go by the end of this summer.

If you end up getting a WJ and have any questions ask away. I’m not a expert, but I have done lots of mods to mine.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
I remember watching that video. That WJ turned out really nice. The aftermarket is starting come around and embrace the WJ.

Thanks. Mines on the extreme end of a WJ build. I’m loving it so far, but it still needs some work before I can tackle any trails. It should be good to go by the end of this summer.

If you end up getting a WJ and have any questions ask away. I’m not a expert, but I have done lots of mods to mine.

Definitely, and thanks! There was another extreme overlander WJ out there with the DB corners, bushwackers, and front Gorilla bumper.

98XJ06LJ

IMG_20181014_163056738_HDR.jpg
I recently sold my 04 WJ. Had it for 5 years. Originally bought it for my daughter to drive, she left for college and wanted something smaller and with better mileage. I kept it for another year and a half and decided to let it go. It was the 4.0, only thing I had to do the whole time was service it and replaced the battery once. Great dependable Jeep. I say buy it, build it and enjoy for years to come. Look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom