Helping a friend- stock jeep to 33's- am I going down the right path?

zimm

Caught the Bug
So a friend who've I've known since I was 5 (but been out of touch for 30 years), popped back on the social radar. He just bought his 15 year old (and himself) a 2016 JKU Sahara. It's a 6MT with 3.73 gears. We wants to run 33's and a 2" lift and not have to mess with anything else.

I was thinking a Rancho 2" sport lift with the 9000 shocks and 285/65R18 duratracs would be just the ticket. Maybe add spidertrax spacers. He's thinking 275/70/18 might be better on stock wheels.

Very mild off-roading, it's mostly going to be a teaching car for his boy to learn how to drive and for him to zip around town instead of running his superduty. He wants it to be awesome in the snow, hence my suggestion for duratracs (snow flake rated) and I've had them on 2 vehicles.

boardsurfer

Duratracs are a good call. You would even get away with an Evo levelling kit with that tire size.

Sounds like Less is More in this case.

Tixslam

You have him going the right direction. I have the Sport lift with the 9000 shocks, a good budget lift. He will need the wheel spacers if he uses the stock wheels.

Mando

I have the Duratracs 285s on stock wheels (17s), with a leveling kit (2" front + 1" back) on a JKUR 2012 manual. No rubbing - Duratracs are good for a DD in winter.

Last I looked at tires for a jk, they were significantly cheaper for 17s than 18s, id say pick out a nice 17" wheel (kid approved of course) toss the duratracs on and sell off the stockers. Hes gotta look cool when he rolls into Highschool. Then you wont have to play with spacers either.

zimm

Caught the Bug
Thanks for the pics, so I can send them to him. Captn- your attachment didn't make it.

Top Bottom