EVO Hinged Carrier

Just got my tire carrier and one of the hinges is drilled wrong. The 9/16 bolt won’t go thru the holes. EVO is taking care of me, but the other hinge has some play with the 9/16 bolt. You could probably wrap a business card around the bolt and get it thru. Just curious what your experience had been and if that hinges holes might be too big or if a little wiggle room for the bolt is normal. Thanks.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Is it possible that the powder coating settled heavy inside one of the bolt holes, that small 1/32” of paint might make the hole just a tad smaller. One bolt hole (probably the upper) could be a little bigger to allow for adjustment of the carrier while installing. Not sure how evo carrier mounts but, my gen right carrier had more of a channel rather than a bolt hole on the upper hinge to allow for leveling the carrier.

Ordered from Northridge. I called EVO direct. They’re sending a new hinge to replace the one with the holes too small. The small hole one is on the right.

IMG_0928.jpg

But then I kinda wonder if this is too much play on the other one.

IMG_0938.jpg

Also has anyone had an issue bolting them up with the backside not being flat from the welds?

IMG_0932.jpg

Yeah I’m just glad I test fit it all before turning wrenches. Running their gate plate now. Upgrading from the Teraflex carrier.

So I’m running into other issues now. After fighting to get the gate aligned to close right for 5 hours the day before yesterday I finally got everything setup right. The tire also wasn’t sitting square to the gate, but I also got that mostly solved.

But what I’m seeing now that I’m not happy about is there’s a gap between the carrier and the gate where theses 2 bolts are. The gap is about 1/8”.
IMG_0948.jpg IMG_0951.jpg

After tightening everything up I’m finding the tailgate sheet metal is being pulled back by the bolts to the carrier. This is resulting in the inside sheet metal deforming and indenting.
IMG_0947.jpg

When I first tightened everything the gate popped. I thought a spot weld had let go but they’re ok. I tried pulling the dent out but it just pops back. If I loosen those bolts it’s comes out somewhat, but as soon as I tighten it all back up the metal deforms again. So I don’t know what to do at this point. Has anyone else had this happen?? It can’t be normal/ok for that gap and the resulting sheet metal deformation. I’m tempted to just pull the thing off. Any ideas?

TheGrendel

So I’m running into other issues now. After fighting to get the gate aligned to close right for 5 hours the day before yesterday I finally got everything setup right. The tire also wasn’t sitting square to the gate, but I also got that mostly solved.

But what I’m seeing now that I’m not happy about is there’s a gap between the carrier and the gate where theses 2 bolts are. The gap is about 1/8”.
View attachment 321474 View attachment 321475

After tightening everything up I’m finding the tailgate sheet metal is being pulled back by the bolts to the carrier. This is resulting in the inside sheet metal deforming and indenting.
View attachment 321476

When I first tightened everything the gate popped. I thought a spot weld had let go but they’re ok. I tried pulling the dent out but it just pops back. If I loosen those bolts it’s comes out somewhat, but as soon as I tighten it all back up the metal deforms again. So I don’t know what to do at this point. Has anyone else had this happen?? It can’t be normal/ok for that gap and the resulting sheet metal deformation. I’m tempted to just pull the thing off. Any ideas?

i actually have the same issue of the right side not making good contact with the tail gate. what i did was back off the bolts on the left side and then tighten down the bolts on the right. then the rest. but, honestly think i'm going to need some spacers to really fix it. also i have the issue of the top right of the tailgate bowing out while the bottom right is in. seen that on here before.

i actually have the same issue of the right side not making good contact with the tail gate. what i did was back off the bolts on the left side and then tighten down the bolts on the right. then the rest. but, honestly think i'm going to need some spacers to really fix it. also i have the issue of the top right of the tailgate bowing out while the bottom right is in. seen that on here before.

So it’s not just me. Hmm. Yeah I tried tightening right to left. Didn’t really help unfortunately. Not sure what to do. Not liking the spacer idea. Luckily I’m not seeing the right edge of the tailgate bowing out much at all like some. I just really don’t like the deformation on the sheet metal.

Yeah mine doesn’t sit perfectly flush either. And have the same issue with the top right of the tailgate being a bit out from the body at the hinge. But nothing is deformed and I’ve had no water issues or anything like that. Had one bolt vibrate lose months ago but no issues since adding blue loctite to them. If anyone has or ever does solve the issue with the top right corner I hope they share it.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

The Teraflex carrier I had fit better against the gate, but is definitely not as strong. I wouldn’t mind the not being flush if it didn’t deform the inside of my tailgate like that. Yeah it’s inside , but I don’t like it and I don’t want to just leave those bolts loose. Still not sure if I should just run it or yank it. Given the fitment issues are you guys still happy with the EVO?

Last edited:
Top Bottom