3" Lift w/ Rockstars - What is the best shock Length?

TrailHunter

Hooked
I am trying to figure out the best Rancho RS9000 shock length to buy for the Rear if I run Rockstars. I don't really want to add any additional bump stop than provided with the EVO enforcer 3" kit. But I also don't want to damage the shock. My other concern is that the EVO kit will level the Jeep and I may want to add a 3/4" spacer in the rear to help when the Jeep is Loaded.

Rancho RS9000 specs:
shock - compressed / extended / travel

1. 3.5" - 16.8 / 27.2 / 10.4

2. 2.5" - 16.1 / 26 / 9.9

3. 1" - 14.6 / 23 / 8.4

Is anyone running this setup that can give some advice?

I suppose if I get the recommended 2.5" shock for the 3" Lift... and if add a 3/4 spacer, I could add a 3/4 extension to the bump stop which should offset the 1.5" difference the Rockstar will make...? Or do I just ditch the Rockstars?

Last edited:

JKbrick

I am trying to figure out the best Rancho RS9000 shock length to buy for the Rear if I run Rockstars. I don't really want to add any additional bump stop than provided with the EVO enforcer 3" kit. But I also don't want to damage the shock. My other concern is that the EVO kit will level the Jeep and I may want to add a 3/4" spacer in the rear to help when the Jeep is Loaded.

Rancho RS9000 specs:

3. 1" - 14.6 / 23 / 8.4

I suppose if I get the recommended 2.5" shock for the 3" Lift... and if add a 3/4 spacer, I could add a 3/4 extension to the bump stop which should offset the 1.5" difference the Rockstar will make...? Or do I just ditch the Rockstars?

I have a set of 3/4” spacers if you need them

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MericaMade

Rancho RS9000 specs:

3. 1" - 14.6 / 23 / 8.4

I hope this helps you out but I ran into this a few weeks ago. I was going to put the rock stars on with the Evo 3 inch lift, 3 inch rear bumps, with king 2.5 resi's. I don't know the length of the King 2.5 resi 3-5 lift shocks off hand but I do know that they were about 1 inch too long to run the kings and rock stars together. ORE said I would need a 4 inch bump stop to give me about 1/2 to 3/8's of a inch of shaft clearance due to moving my lower mounting point moving up with the rock stars. I know its not exactly the same but hopefully a reference point in shock length for you.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I hope this helps you out but I ran into this a few weeks ago. I was going to put the rock stars on with the Evo 3 inch lift, 3 inch rear bumps, with king 2.5 resi's. I don't know the length of the King 2.5 resi 3-5 lift shocks off hand but I do know that they were about 1 inch too long to run the kings and rock stars together. ORE said I would need a 4 inch bump stop to give me about 1/2 to 3/8's of a inch of shaft clearance due to moving my lower mounting point moving up with the rock stars. I know its not exactly the same but hopefully a reference point in shock length for you.

Thanks for the heads up... I bet your kings for a 3-5” lift are longer than the Rancho for the 2.5” lift.... so that would make sense.

jdofmemi

That helps me. Thanks.
I had Kings, but bent one and broke a fitting on the other. I have not gotten them fixed yet, but bought RS-9000 for a quick fix.
I want to go to Rock stars, since my lower mounts have been abused pretty bad, but also want to put the Kings back on.
I have 3" bumps, and barely any travel as it is. With 4" bumps, I would be sitting on the end of the rubber bump.

Thanks for the heads up... I bet your kings for a 3-5” lift are longer than the Rancho for the 2.5” lift.... so that would make sense.

Sounds about right. I got the RS999330, for 3-4" lift. There appears to be enough room left to run the Rock stars with them.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug

Rancho RS9000 specs:

3. 1" - 14.6 / 23 / 8.4

You are going to need something like 16" Compression (MAX) to run a 3" bump stop with rockstars. but ULTIMATELY, you can have WAY MORE usable wheel travel (+2.5") if you run a shimmed bump stop (make it 3-7/8" to 4") and run shock Option #1, at the expense of about 1" of up travel... You can always swap over to 4" springs if you want more up travel before you hit the bump. If you dont need the travel, and care more about NOT bottoming out, as close to <16" Compression length (Option 3 ONLY) with the 3" bump is as good as you are going to get!

anything over approximately 26.5" extended is going to drop Evo's 3" coils out of the spring seat.

I would run shock option 1 with 4" springs. :twocents:

:beer:

*Read my build thread for reference*

Last edited:

TrailHunter

Hooked
You are going to need something like 16" Compression (MAX) to run a 3" bump stop with rockstars. but ULTIMATELY, you can have WAY MORE usable wheel travel (+2.5") if you run a shimmed bump stop (make it 3-7/8" to 4") and run shock Option #1, at the expense of about 1" of up travel... You can always swap over to 4" springs if you want more up travel before you hit the bump. If you dont need the travel, and care more about NOT bottoming out, as close to <16" Compression length (Option 3 ONLY) with the 3" bump is as good as you are going to get!

anything over approximately 26.5" extended is going to drop Evo's 3" coils out of the spring seat.

I would run shock option 1 with 4" springs. :twocents:

:beer:

*Read my build thread for reference*

I kind of understand what you’re saying... but it seems like option 2 puts it right where it needs to be according to the numbers you stated... A 3” spring and 3/4” Spring spacer should give more than enough room for compression with a 3” bump... and the 2.5” shock should hold the spring from popping out.

I’ll check out your Build thread.

BaddestCross

I kind of understand what you’re saying... but it seems like option 2 puts it right where it needs to be according to the numbers you stated... A 3” spring and 3/4” Spring spacer should give more than enough room for compression with a 3” bump... and the 2.5” shock should hold the spring from popping out.

I’ll check out your Build thread.
Lol. That's what I'm effectively running. A 2" heavy duty spring and a 2.75" spacer but with the weight I carry it's compressed by about an inch from the jump.

You'll be fine unless your rear end sags when you load up with gear.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

TrailHunter

Hooked
Lol. That's what I'm effectively running. A 2" heavy duty spring and a 2.75" spacer but with the weight I carry it's compressed by about an inch from the jump.

You'll be fine unless your rear end sags when you load up with gear.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

I’ll install and run the setup without the rockstars first... then go from there. I’m only going with 35’s right now, so I don’t want to be too high.

Top Bottom