Differences in the 17-18 3.6?

tteal235

I want a supercharger for my 18 jku. Upon searching for one or trying to piece a kit together, they don’t make the belt driven supers for the 18’s. Just turbos and prochargers.

Is there any major differences in the engine top end itself to where I can’t just buy the 17 model? I can’t find anything noting major differences whether it been the engine or the ecu? Idk.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I want a supercharger for my 18 jku. Upon searching for one or trying to piece a kit together, they don’t make the belt driven supers for the 18’s. Just turbos and prochargers.

Is there any major differences in the engine top end itself to where I can’t just buy the 17 model? I can’t find anything noting major differences whether it been the engine or the ecu? Idk.

Have you added a supercharger to a vehicle before or is this new to you?

WJCO

Meme King
Superchargering is newish. I know the concept and have put turbos on and owned boosted cars. But never had hands on with a super.

Well, if you're taking a NA engine and adding FAI, there are so many frickin variables to get it right. A bolt on kit that comes with a proper tune is the most bang for your buck but if you're piecing it together yourself, it will be hundreds or thousands of dollars and countless hours of trial and error. On top of that, the HP gains really aren't usually worth the cost IMO. On top of that, if you use a supercharged Jeep on trails, it sounds like an annoying college girl screaming because she's getting gang-banged for the first time and doesn't know how to deal with the emotion of it all. Annoying as fuck.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well, if you're taking a NA engine and adding FAI, there are so many frickin variables to get it right. A bolt on kit that comes with a proper tune is the most bang for your buck but if you're piecing it together yourself, it will be hundreds or thousands of dollars and countless hours of trial and error. On top of that, the HP gains really aren't usually worth the cost IMO. On top of that, if you use a supercharged Jeep on trails, it sounds like an annoying college girl screaming because she's getting gang-banged for the first time and doesn't know how to deal with the emotion of it all. Annoying as fuck.

I don’t want to experience the supercharge but want to hear the noise. Can you point me to the spot where I can accomplish that? Strictly for testing.

Exodus 4x4

it sounds like an annoying college girl screaming because she's getting gang-banged for the first time and doesn't know how to deal with the emotion of it all. Annoying as fuck.

IMG_1952.JPG

OP, I’m kind of partial to engine swaps. Particularly of the LS variety. Understandably though most people don’t have that much money to put towards it, and may never will. I’ve heard a lot of good feedback about Prodigy turbos, but I haven’t personally seen it myself. This could just be a bunch of people that can’t afford to be honest about their mistake though. This happens a lot in the Jeep world. Now if you do have the money to put towards an engine swap, that’s undoubtedly going to add the power you’re looking for.

WJCO

Meme King
I don’t want to experience the supercharge but want to hear the noise. Can you point me to the spot where I can accomplish that? Strictly for testing.

Something like this. Fun for the first few seconds, then you just want to shoot yourself. But hey, you can tell your buddies that your Jeep is supercharged.

Last edited:

flaxbourton

Op, this is a very anti super charger thread for whatever reason. There are really solid kits out there with tons of supporting performance data. Ignore the trolls. I mean, one poster literally said he had never even seen one on a Jeep, SMH. Another is giving you a $25k LS alternative, gee, thanks bro...
I will add three actual constructive things though, first, clearly noone so far can help with your 2018 belt drive question, sorry. Second, you might look into a Hemi swap, as you can do those for just a few thousand more in a lot of cases and can expect much greater performance results. There are a lot of questions about the overall frame and build holding up, but that's even more true with the LS, and to a lesser degree true with the SC. Third, the only accurate thing I've read so far on this thread is the noise analogy on how they sound, lmao!

WJCO

Meme King
Op, this is a very anti super charger thread for whatever reason.

Forced air induction really isn't ideal for a Jeep that spends most of the time using it offroad. And realistically for the horsepower gains that are achieved, the price really isn't worth it. Just my opinion though.

flaxbourton

Op, this is a very anti super charger thread for whatever reason. There are really solid kits out there with tons of supporting performance data. Ignore the trolls. I mean, one poster literally said he had never even seen one on a Jeep, SMH. Another is giving you a $25k LS alternative, gee, thanks bro...
I will add three actual constructive things though, first, clearly noone so far can help with your 2018 belt drive question, sorry. Second, you might look into a Hemi swap, as you can do those for just a few thousand more in a lot of cases and can expect much greater performance results. There are a lot of questions about the overall frame and build holding up, but that's even more true with the LS, and to a lesser degree true with the SC. Third, the only accurate thing I've read so far on this thread is the noise analogy on how they sound, lmao!

Thats weird, did someone delete my post? I can quote it, but the actual post reads completely different. Don't see anything wrong with the opinion.

WJCO, fair enough for offroading. That's probably a good question for him, on whether or not he plans to do a bunch of more advanced offroading with it. Also, would be good to know if he lives in the mountains or at higher altitude, as SC's also require much greater tuning in those situations.

USMC Wrangler

Thats weird, did someone delete my post? I can quote it, but the actual post reads completely different. Don't see anything wrong with the opinion.

WJCO, fair enough for offroading. That's probably a good question for him, on whether or not he plans to do a bunch of more advanced offroading with it. Also, would be good to know if he lives in the mountains or at higher altitude, as SC's also require much greater tuning in those situations.

I can see it and looks the same to me.

In the several years I’ve been here, I’ve never seen a mod delete anyone’s posts. Things don’t work that way here, in case you weren’t sure.

TheGrendel

I can see it and looks the same to me.

In the several years I’ve been here, I’ve never seen a mod delete anyone’s posts. Things don’t work that way here, in case you weren’t sure.

sometimes there is a site glitch. its happened to me where i thought my post was deleted. then later on it showed up. who knows what happens when our posts enter the series of interconnected tubes.

longarmwj

I’ve heard a lot of good feedback about Prodigy turbos, but I haven’t personally seen it myself. This could just be a bunch of people that can’t afford to be honest about their mistake though.

They’re total shit. They’re forged internals are good but their tuning and turbos are shit. A shop out near me had one and they said it was an absolute nightmare and made the Jeep un-drivable. They switched to a Ripp, did prodigy forged internals, custom radiator and dual fan assembly, and had it custom tuned instead of running the Ripp tune and they say it’s amazing.

Honestly if i could get a custom tune done on mine, I’d run a supercharger. But the remote tunes are always shit

feederic

I'm putting a sprintex on my 2016 JKU right now - should be dyno tuning monday. I would never run a canned tune by itself.

Sprintex is a positive displacement blower, and unlike ripp or prodigy which utilizes centrifugal compressors, boost and therefore power gains are instant. Centrifugal style blowers have no place on a jeep IMO.

I've also added methanol injection to keep IATs and the engine cool on hot days.

Top Bottom