ARB twin compressor not generating pressure

wjtstudios

Hooked
Last week at the badlands, I lost pressure coming out of the compressor but it was still running. Finally had a chance to pull it and open it up today and found both bolts that hold the pistons to the motors sheared off with half the bolt imbedded in the motor. You can see the loose bolts thru the vent holes.

IMG_0590.jpg IMG_0591.jpg

One head was loose in the housing, the other was completely out. ARB tech support isn’t open today, but I hope they can help resolve it.

As always, Bubba saved the day and will have new twin on its way up shortly that was supposed to go into scrambler but will now into the JK. Hopefully ARB will replace the damaged one and that will go into the scrambler this summer. I’ll post up what ARB comes up with. Thanks again Exodus!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Coop

Caught the Bug
ARB makes good stuff so I am with you on hoping they stand behind it. Wonder if this warrants checking our compressors?

wjtstudios

Hooked
ARB makes good stuff so I am with you on hoping they stand behind it. Wonder if this warrants checking our compressors?

You’d know it if they were sheared but you can check to see if they are tight just by pulling the two vents. The Allen bolts are right there.

wjtstudios

Hooked
I would be interested also if they recommend servicing them. Is that Allen bolt in the piston?

The Allen bolt holds the bottom of the piston to the offset mount on the motor. The piston moved perpendicular to the motor housing.

I’ll make sure to ask the question, but the bolts showed no sign of loosening. Just completely sheared off.

wjtstudios

Hooked
ARB is going to warranty it, I didn’t have much doubt there. They’ll send out two new motors to replace the existing units with the sheared bolts stuck inside. Thank you ARB!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Rebuilt the compressor this afternoon with the replacement motors and pistons ARB shipped over under warranty. It’s holding pressure and running great.

IMG_0637.jpg IMG_0735.jpg

I didn’t notice it when it was mounted in the Jeep but it looks like the left piston broke some time before the right. The blue mount is significantly lighter from one side to the other and all I can figure is the darker unit wasn’t generating as much heat with out the load of the piston on it. The motor always ran, so when I’d check it, it seemed fine but wasn’t generating pressure. One more advantage of the twin. You can loose one side and still have a back up.

JKbrick

Rebuilt the compressor this afternoon with the replacement motors and pistons ARB shipped over under warranty. It’s holding pressure and running great.

View attachment 323580 View attachment 323581

I didn’t notice it when it was mounted in the Jeep but it looks like the left piston broke some time before the right. The blue mount is significantly lighter from one side to the other and all I can figure is the darker unit wasn’t generating as much heat with out the load of the piston on it. The motor always ran, so when I’d check it, it seemed fine but wasn’t generating pressure. One more advantage of the twin. You can loose one side and still have a back up.

Now it will seem faster to air up too

Andy5160

Hooked

View attachment 323580 View attachment 323581

Nice [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom