2019 JL rubicon front axle re-tube FAD delete

kmac107

I’m sure most JL owners have found the weak spot in the new JL axles breaking the cast FAD housing in the center of the passenger side axle tube. We currently have a 2019 JLU sport from a family member that wanted to upgrade axles while keeping it on the stock side but still have a capable rig when complete. I picked up a set of very slightly used JL rubicon axles from a friend with less than 4000 miles on them after he took out the axle by hitting a rock with his passenger tire while wheeling at windrock. Below are some pictures of the front axle as I took it apart Image1550981760.678528.jpg

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
but FCA says it's not a design flaw...

There go my plans of spending less money have a good trail rig :doh:

Ddays

Hooked
Is this FAD thing really that big of an issue for the average guy? I mean, Eddie has wheeled the shit out of his for a year now and Mel had to hit a rock in the desert going 100 to break his. How much of these breakages are driver error?

fiend

Caught the Bug
Is this FAD thing really that big of an issue for the average guy? I mean, Eddie has wheeled the shit out of his for a year now and Mel had to hit a rock in the desert going 100 to break his. How much of these breakages are driver error?

Well Eddie has a Prorock now, so that may be indicative...

Start saving your money ... [emoji857]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Do what I’ll do. Drive it until it breaks. There are people that never broke a JK front 44. You’ve got Gruff to really beat on, anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

LOL!! Speed will bend or break a housing in a way that rock crawling could never hope to. Not saying that it can't happen rock crawling but it isn't as common. When you're going fast, it's hard not to make a mistake from time to time and that's why it's important to have an axle that can withstand driver error. Anyone who knows me knows I like to drive fast - Cindy maybe more so. :crazyeyes: While we have been wheeling hard, we had also been trying a lot harder to be careful when it comes to speed. This is a BIG part of why we upgraded to a PR44JL... so we can throttle up :D

Ddays

Hooked
Well Eddie has a Prorock now, so that may be indicative...

Start saving your money ... [emoji857]

In the eyes of FCA, all of them

In the view of someone who likes obstacles in the road, a ProRock probably should be on the radar

Sure, he has one now, but look at what hes done so far. I'm not saying a pro rock isn't a good idea for some, I just wonder how many of these breaks are from error/neglectful driving?

Ddays

Hooked
LOL!! Speed will bend or break a housing in a way that rock crawling could never hope to. Not saying that it can't happen rock crawling but it isn't as common. When you're going fast, it's hard not to make a mistake from time to time and that's why it's important to have an axle that can withstand driver error. Anyone who knows me knows I like to drive fast - Cindy maybe more so. :crazyeyes: While we have been wheeling hard, we had also been trying a lot harder to be careful when it comes to speed. This is a BIG part of why we upgraded to a PR44JL... so we can throttle up :D

Yup, and you're a a perfect example of someone that will surely benefit from the upgrade. Again, I'm just throwing it out there that some of these breaks could be preventable instead of just blaming it on "those new piece of shit FAD axles".

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, and you're a a perfect example of someone that will surely benefit from the upgrade. Again, I'm just throwing it out there that some of these breaks could be preventable instead of just blaming it on "those new piece of shit FAD axles".

Oh, for sure, totally preventable and the past year is proof of it. Cindy and I just want to drive with a bit more reckless abandon is all. :D

jeeeep

Hooked
Oh, for sure, totally preventable and the past year is proof of it. Cindy and I just want to drive with a bit more reckless abandon is all. :D

reckless abandon driving.. hell ya!!

damn I need to move, as big as Texas is...no public lands where reckless abandon can happen :naw:

kmac107

Eddie, did you have to pull the solenoid out of the transfer case when you swapped to the pro rock axle? I plan to but I know some get away without doing it

Top Bottom