Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airing Up and Airing Down Tires and I am a dumbass

Hooked

Airing Up and Airing Down Tires and I am a dumbass

So I think I am clever and build a custom air hose system to air up all four tires at the same time and air all four tires down at the same time. The air hose I build will also balance out the air pressure between all four tires. The air hose is nothing special, one hose into a splitter and then hoses down each side of the Jeep. Has a gauge, and a dump valve so I know what the pressure is.

20190224_183411.jpg

Every thing stores good in a bag. So you might be wondering how am I a dumbass. So after I get all done and do a test run and everything works fine...No problem. I then realize as I walk past the spare tire, that I am caring a 37 in tire that is basically a big air tank. If I max out the tire pressure in the spare tire and add a pig tail to my existing line, that when I get done wheeling and need to air up, by attaching the spare to the equation, It will add about 12 pounds to the other four tires. As the tire equalize in pressure, I will get out the portable air compressor and attach it to the air lines and then unhook the spare. Then my portable air compressor will only have to add about five pounds to each of the four tires. When I get home, I can use shop air compressor to fill the spare back up to max pressure. So just when I thought I was done building the air hose, back to the hardware store I go tomorrow.

Why would you use the air in your spare to inflate the tires, then use the compressor to air back up the spare when you could just use the air compressor.....to air up the tires?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Been Around the Block Bustedback's Avatar
    You’re not gaining anything by using the spare as an air tank. It’s easier just to use the compressor.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Knows a Thing or Two MericaMade's Avatar
    Sounds like a good idea if your compressor crapped out on you and you needed to air tires up just to get you home, but also seems like a lot of work, The idea of filling 4 tires up at a time sounds good but I would think you would spend more time untangling and connecting all four tires at once rather then one cord and one tire at a time. Takes me about 15 minutes to air up 4 37's with my shittybuilt compressor.

The spare tire can’t hold enough air at sufficiently high pressure to make it a useful “tank” to air up the other tires.

If you're running beadlocks you don't want to "max out" the pressure or one day it may go boom.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

My head hurts.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    My head hurts.
    That’s what happens when you huff air from your spare tire.

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    My head hurts.
    I read that too

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    whats max psi, like 50 something? an actual air tank is like 125-150psi. I doubt you would get your estimated 10-15 per tire. Just not enough CFM at that low of a pressure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast