Trailer build

dytrdr5

Yeah! That’s a great looking build!! Easier to do it that way than restoring and beefing up old structure! Been touch up welding all week.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

They both have their pros and cons, I looked at restoring an old M416 trailer, I factored in a good $3500 or so to rebuild it including the trailer cost. So far I’m at $4500 with this build and not too much more to go in expenses besides paint and lid hinges.

Abntroop

Well it looks good man and structurally will be more sound with that frame than with vintage C channel. I have been very lucky to have a job that doesn’t mind our personal projects when it’s slow and to have access to good coworkers who have been more than willing to help and teach as we modify the trailer each time. Has certainly saved a lot of money on this build for sure.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Cool looking build. I started mine with a M116a3 1 ton trailer and I am now contemplating a total tear down and restart. It was too big to start with so after cropping the frame I now have to move axles and revamp the brakes. [emoji849]. I would have been much better off going the route you did.

jdofmemi

Cool looking build. I started mine with a M116a3 1 ton trailer and I am now contemplating a total tear down and restart. It was too big to start with so after cropping the frame I now have to move axles and revamp the brakes. [emoji849]. I would have been much better off going the route you did.

I have that trailer too. I haven't started yet, so reading this will make me think it over.

I was thinking it might be good to go to camp, but not for a trail trailer. Then again, I think, if it's too big for a trail, what's the point.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
I have that trailer too. I haven't started yet, so reading this will make me think it over.

I was thinking it might be good to go to camp, but not for a trail trailer. Then again, I think, if it's too big for a trail, what's the point.

I like the full width, high clearance axle. I cropped about 1.5' off of the frame leaving just enough room that I could load a quad on the deck, but that caused tongue weight issues. If I had to start again I would start with a 416 or go with a kit like this.

dytrdr5

Well here are some updates, the trailer is completely finished and is ready to go for paint and powder-coat. I finished up the threaded inserts that will hold my bicycle carrier and spare tire, there’s 8 of them in the frame. Finished up the removable tongue and got the holes for the lights drilled

IMG_7038.JPG IMG_7044.JPG IMG_7051.JPG 57568024983__37F3ECD1-85EC-43B7-995C-D6380A36D9F1.JPG

wibornz

NIce build. How much do you think it is going to weigh? It looks like it is tough enough to haul a bulldozer.

Top Bottom