VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : Understanding the FAD - How the JL Front Axle Disconnect Works

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In an effort to help improve fuel economy on the all new JL Wrangler, Jeep went through great lengths to lighten up it up as much as they could, reduce drag where possible and make it operate more efficiently. Of course, one of the things they did to help make this possible was to add a front axle disconnect or what most people refer to as, an FAD. But, what exactly is an FAD and how does it work? Is it tied into the JL computer and what if you were to upgrade your axle to something like a ProRock 44? Will getting rid of it be a problem? In this episode of the JL JOURNAL, Jim McGean, the owner of Dynatrac will answer all these questions and more. We hope you enjoy and find the information to be useful.

This is the 2nd in a series of JL JOURNAL's that we've made to help educate people about JL Wrangler axles and why you might want to consider a Dynatrac ProRock 44. We hope that you'll find them to be informative. Please check back soon for our next installment.

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

Ddays

Hooked
Very helpful. I had a pretty good idea how this worked but now I can see how it works. These videos are great!

wjtstudios

Hooked
Really interesting to see how that actually worked in an honest advantage/disadvantage discussion. As always, Nicely done!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Too bad most people can’t figure out locking hubs. I guess, as Jim said, the FAD may be cheaper.

I think the bigger issue is that people are lazy. Most don't want to get out in the weather or the muck just to have 4WD. They just want to push a button and go. And really, I totally get it or at least, for most people. For us, Jeepers, it sucks to not have.

Suds1485

I have no sound so I didn’t watch the video right now. But based on what it looks like it reminded me of the vacuum disconnect on the xj in the 80’s is it the same concept? And if so how does it fair for over strength? Is it a new weak point. Sorry if these were addressed in the vid. I wonder if this is just a modern retry of an old technology.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Too bad most people can’t figure out locking hubs. I guess, as Jim said, the FAD may be cheaper.

I think the bigger issue is that people are lazy. Most don't want to get out in the weather or the muck just to have 4WD. They just want to push a button and go. And really, I totally get it or at least, for most people. For us, Jeepers, it sucks to not have.
Yeah I wish we had manual locking hubs on the JK. Due to front drive shaft failures we installed them on our old fire engines. It was awesome to completely disengage everything from spinning. I remember the first "on the fly" push button 4wd ads.

Question I have speaking of "on the fly" 4wd. If the axle shafts are spinning opposite directions when the FAD is in 2wd do you have to come to a complete stop to shift to 4wd on the JL?

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice and informative [emoji106][emoji106]
Is that your new axle being made at the end of the video[emoji848][emoji848]

As a matter of fact, this whole video series highlights the PR44JL that was being made for Jet :yup:

I have no sound so I didn’t watch the video right now. But based on what it looks like it reminded me of the vacuum disconnect on the xj in the 80’s is it the same concept? And if so how does it fair for over strength? Is it a new weak point. Sorry if these were addressed in the vid. I wonder if this is just a modern retry of an old technology.

Yup, same thing as the old CAD from long ago only, instead of using vacuum to make it work, there is an electrical motor. Is it a weak point? Well, so far, it hasn't been or at least in terms of how it works.

Good informative short video, always appreciate Jim's expertise

Glad to hear you found this video to be informative. We always love working with Jim being that he has so much knowledge to share. :yup:

Yeah I wish we had manual locking hubs on the JK. Due to front drive shaft failures we installed them on our old fire engines. It was awesome to completely disengage everything from spinning. I remember the first "on the fly" push button 4wd ads.

Question I have speaking of "on the fly" 4wd. If the axle shafts are spinning opposite directions when the FAD is in 2wd do you have to come to a complete stop to shift to 4wd on the JL?

Good question and the answer is no. There is a syncro in the transfer case that helps the FAD understand when it can engage. This is the reason why there was a lot of concern early on regarding what it would mean to get rid of the FAD.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Good informative video.

If the FAD is as reliable as the JKR electronic sway bar, Dynatrac is going to make a bunch of money selling a manual “no limits” FAD knob.

jdofmemi

Good informative video.

If the FAD is as reliable as the JKR electronic sway bar, Dynatrac is going to make a bunch of money selling a manual “no limits” FAD knob.

I see a delete kit, with one piece axle shafts and something to convince the computer that everything is OK

Top Bottom