Can’t power off CB?

Hey guys I installed my CB (Cobra 29LX) yesterday and today got around to wiring the power. For some reason tho it seems as though I can’t power it off? I ran the ground (black with red stripe) to the bolt in passenger side foot well. And ran the positive (red) to the battery terminal. The only thing I’ve not done yet is attached the ground wire to the frame and tuned the firestik . I’ve combed over the user manual and as far counter clockwise as I turn the volume knob the display is still lit. Any ideas? For the time being I just unplugged from the back of the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Are you positive you aren't turning the squelch? The squelch knob is the outer and the volume knob is the smaller part that sticks out of the center of the squelch. It will have a detent for the off position and you should feel it click in.

Are you positive you aren't turning the squelch? The squelch knob is the outer and the volume knob is the smaller part that sticks out of the center of the squelch. It will have a detent for the off position and you should feel it click in.

-_- I’ll just pretend I never asked... but you were correct. Swear I turned every knob each way but must of stopped before it clicked

nbunga

Caught the Bug
Don’t feel bad. We used to get work orders from pilots in the Navy stating, “unit does non work in OFF position”

Cmgoat1

Don’t feel bad. We used to get work orders from pilots in the Navy stating, “unit does non work in OFF position”

We would tell the pilots that OFF stands for On Full Force lol.
I worked avionics on EA6Bs
Thanks for your service

zimm

Caught the Bug

I was going to just "lol" this one, but shit, I'm a retired Naval aviator. I never wrote a MAF that stupid. :doh:

Hey guys just wanted to check that I’ve got this right. I calibrated the unit on channel 20 then on 1 and 40. Just thought it was odd because I’ve not tuned the antennae at all and didn’t actually connect the ground wire to the frame yet... maybe just lucky? The SWR meter reads:

Channel 1
IMG_3322.jpg

Channel 20
IMG_3321.jpg

Channel 40
IMG_3323.jpg

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Looks great. That's what you want. That radio also has several self checks built into the menu that will show if you have any power output or other antenna issues. I recommend reading the manual on the self test options.

Looks great. That's what you want. That radio also has several self checks built into the menu that will show if you have any power output or other antenna issues. I recommend reading the manual on the self test options.

Thanks! And yeah I’ve been combing thru the manual trying to familiarize myself with everything. Scared the sh*t outta me twice the other night when I heard someone on it.

Top Bottom