Battery or Block Heater 2016

Jsouder53

Hooked
This morning my battery decided to quit in both my truck and my Jeep... I’ll definitely be getting a new battery, but was wondering would I be better off with a block heater or a battery heater. I’ve look for a block heater kit and couldn’t find one specific for the 3.6

trailraider

This morning my battery decided to quit in both my truck and my Jeep... I’ll definitely be getting a new battery, but was wondering would I be better off with a block heater or a battery heater. I’ve look for a block heater kit and couldn’t find one specific for the 3.6

if you get cold temps , block heater is the better option. best battery in the world wont start a frozen block.

block heater # 4609325AB
cord # 68142875AA

dhughes16

I’ve been in Fairbanks, AK for 3 years now and I haven’t had any issues with a trickle charger on my battery and the heating pads on the oil and tranny. My friends have had issues with heating pads on the battery. I’d stay away from that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
if you get cold temps , block heater is the better option. best battery in the world wont start a frozen block.

block heater # 4609325AB
cord # 68142875AA

I’ve been in Fairbanks, AK for 3 years now and I haven’t had any issues with a trickle charger on my battery and the heating pads on the oil and tranny. My friends have had issues with heating pads on the battery. I’d stay away from that.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Awesome thanks for the input [emoji106]

Jsouder53

Hooked
Found a block heater at Napa for $37. So it’s a good start. if this doesn’t help me tomorrow morning, I’ll get a new battery

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I would do a block heater and a deep cycle marine battery. The block heater will make it easier for cranking in cold weather and the battery will be able to still start the jeep even after sitting in the cold and discharging

trailraider

you could also look at doing a AGM battery. be better for cold weather as it does not have acid in it to freeze.

Jsouder53

Hooked
I would do a block heater and a deep cycle marine battery. The block heater will make it easier for cranking in cold weather and the battery will be able to still start the jeep even after sitting in the cold and discharging

you could also look at doing a AGM battery. be better for cold weather as it does not have acid in it to freeze.

behind a/c compressor, you have to remove the compressor.

I ended up returning the block heater, I wasn’t in the mood to get too involved in an install today since it’s in the negatives lol I got a new battery, an AGM [emoji106] one day I’ll get the block heater for next winter
Image1551749332.012857.jpg

trailraider

[h=1]The correct number for the 3.6 block heater is this and i'm going to do a write up on it this weekend 82212804AB.[/h]

You don't have to remove the compressor it's behind the steering shaft and sits up in a nitch.

Double check your info . that part # is for an older JS (avenger/200) 3.6 litre block casting. They never used it in the JK. If you can still get it, you may run into clearance issues with the cylinder walls. I'm not saying it wont work, but I would hate to go through all that work and find out I pulled the wrong core plug or it was too long to fit.

I have attached the install instructions.

Attachments

• block heater.pdf
    349.5 KB · Views: 8

sm31

As the "other" guy from AK, I'll second that! :beer:

My block heater tends to raise under hood temps enough to keep the battery out of trouble. If it's -30F then I'm guessing it's around 0 or maybe a little warmer in the engine bay after being plugged in all night.

Top Bottom