Bent steering stabilizer

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Bought a rancho SS to replace the factory one which was bashed on a rock. Installed it on the relocated position on the evo drag link flip bracket right before I went to 37s . Haven’t really done any wheeling since and have put 200 miles on since beadlocks and 37s but noticed it’s bent .

Only thing I remember is hitting a big pothole with right wheel on road going 30 ish mph . Whole Jeep went into death wobble which stopped after I pulled over 5 seconds later . Drove again and hasn’t come back since .

Steering was also off after 1 mild wheeling trip but adjusted and now drives and tracks straight . No wobble even up to 85 on freeway.

Could the bump have bent the SS? Seems flimsy . Should I just remove and toss it ? Any need to get another ?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jdofmemi

Take it off and toss it.

If it drives good, don't sweat it. If it don't, fix the problem and save the stabilizer money for useful things.

You might have bent it on that one little rock pile coming down Pleasant Canyon.

BaddestCross

Bought a rancho SS to replace the factory one which was bashed on a rock. Installed it on the relocated position on the evo drag link flip bracket right before I went to 37s . Haven’t really done any wheeling since and have put 200 miles on since beadlocks and 37s but noticed it’s bent .

Only thing I remember is hitting a big pothole with right wheel on road going 30 ish mph . Whole Jeep went into death wobble which stopped after I pulled over 5 seconds later . Drove again and hasn’t come back since .

Steering was also off after 1 mild wheeling trip but adjusted and now drives and tracks straight . No wobble even up to 85 on freeway.

Could the bump have bent the SS? Seems flimsy . Should I just remove and toss it ? Any need to get another ?

Very odd. Particularly since you relocated it above the tie rod (I'm assuming). Did you have it centered properly side to side? Pics?

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

Hmm guess my memory is selective .. found the photo above of tire install at Rubidaves and the SS seems like it was already leaking . Funny I didn’t notice before.

Also seems like I had it on during New Years run ... 🤷🏻*♂️

They are cheap enough . Prob just replace it for 60 bucks . Didn’t really seem to do anything but then again maybe it was preventing something shittier from happening .

BaddestCross

I had the same stabilizer before I went to hydro... The first time I installed it, I had the end on the tie rod rolled out towards the front of the Jeep giving it a weird angle. It blew out in a couple months. I got it replaced under warranty and installed the next one as parallel to the tie rod as I could... No issues.

--
Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I had the same stabilizer before I went to hydro... The first time I installed it, I had the end on the tie rod rolled out towards the front of the Jeep giving it a weird angle. It blew out in a couple months. I got it replaced under warranty and installed the next one as parallel to the tie rod as I could... No issues.

--

Thanks James . Will try to get mine warrantied too and give this a go

I took my damaged SS off before the NY run... I can’t feel any difference without it.

If I can get it warrantied, then this is next I guess

rubiDave

My factory stabilizer is bashed in several places. It doesn't seem to have any effect on handling. I wouldn't spend money on it if you're going hydro in the near future.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

PokerStogey

Ran mine without for about a year before 35s and shortly thereafter found that when entering a sweeping, less than smooth left curve near my house, it would get a little jittery in the steering wheel. Never really noticed it anywhere else so didnt worry much about it. When I recently installed the EVO stage 1 and DL flip, I put a rancho SS on and don’t have the issue there anymore. Obviously a lot more than the SS changed in my setup, but will probably always keep one on based on that experience.

desertrunner

FWIW I never re installed mine after doing my front axle swap and have been running without one for a year or so on 37s without any issue and don't plan on putting one in. Mostly because with my current set up it doesn't really conveniently line up so I don't plan on trying to make one work

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Got it replaced under warranty . Free shipping too so will just be careful when putting it back on to hope it lines up straight . Good to know it’s not needed if all else is good tho

BaddestCross

Got it replaced under warranty . Free shipping too so will just be careful when putting it back on to hope it lines up straight . Good to know it’s not needed if all else is good tho

See post #30 and post #40 from my build thread to see the difference in the way I mounted it. I didn't get a side view of my first install, but you can sort of see the angle in the front view. I did it that way because I swear the install instructions said to have it rolled forward in front of the tie rod, but as you can see, having it that way only lasted 2 months and a couple trail runs.

--

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
See post #30 and post #40 from my build thread to see the difference in the way I mounted it. I didn't get a side view of my first install, but you can sort of see the angle in the front view. I did it that way because I swear the install instructions said to have it rolled forward in front of the tie rod, but as you can see, having it that way only lasted 2 months and a couple trail runs.

--

Thank you sir . Think makes sense. Will mount parallel to tie rod and not let it turn towards the tie rod . Adjust with clamp .

Last edited:

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Update: reinstalled last week and seemed fine . Today hit a bump and felt steering wheel go into a mini death wobble . Looked underneath to find this

IMG_1791.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

The bushing seems to have pulled completely out and the bolt is still attached . Seems like the steering stabilizer is still hitting the evo track bar bracket

IMG_1793.JPG

This happened with the last one as well

IMG_1745.JPG

For now I’ve ripped it out . Took it for a test drive and seems fine but worried about getting wobble again when I hit a pothole or something similar .

Need to get under and do steering wheel test to see what could be loose . Will check tie rod ends, drag link ends, and track bar ends to start .

jdofmemi

I found a good place for my stabilizer.....

Still on my old tie rod, leaning up against the wall. It keeps the wall from getting death wobble 🤣🤣🤣

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190322_161312-756x1008.jpg
    MVIMG_20190322_161312-756x1008.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 72

rubiDave

Update: reinstalled last week and seemed fine . Today hit a bump and felt steering wheel go into a mini death wobble . Looked underneath to find this

View attachment 323441

View attachment 323442

The bushing seems to have pulled completely out and the bolt is still attached . Seems like the steering stabilizer is still hitting the evo track bar bracket

View attachment 323443

This happened with the last one as well

View attachment 323444

For now I’ve ripped it out . Took it for a test drive and seems fine but worried about getting wobble again when I hit a pothole or something similar .

Need to get under and do steering wheel test to see what could be loose . Will check tie rod ends, drag link ends, and track bar ends to start .

It may be hitting your track bar adjusting collar. I doubt it's hitting the EVO bracket.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
It may be hitting your track bar adjusting collar. I doubt it's hitting the EVO bracket.

Prob right . Either way it’s off now . Was starting to bend again too . Will see if the death wobble continues. I checked track bar, control arm, and tie rod bolts and they are torqued .

Need to get my wife to help so I can test when turning wheel

Top Bottom