Rear axle pumpkin wet - is this normal?

longarmwj

IMG_6333.jpg
Is this normal? I noticed this earlier today. I know last ride i went on I drug the rear axle over some rocks several times but I couldn’t tell if the rear diff cover has been pulled back any or not. There are no leaks apparent in my driveway or garage so I know it isn’t dripping.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
View attachment 322403
Is this normal? I noticed this earlier today. I know last ride i went on I drug the rear axle over some rocks several times but I couldn’t tell if the rear diff cover has been pulled back any or not. There are no leaks apparent in my driveway or garage so I know it isn’t dripping.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would clean it really good with brake cleaner. Then look it over really well to see where the fluid is leaking from.

USMC Wrangler

You probably bent the mounting surface of the cover like I and many others have. The cover hangs down lower than the housing and is prone to this. I replaced mine when it happened to me. In the meantime definitely check your fluid level.

jdofmemi

In the pic the cover looks bent.

Choice one, Dynatrac covers

Back up plan, take a grinder to the bottom edge while it is off and shorten the cover until it doesn't quite make it to the edge of the diff.

Also remember, a thimble full of gear oil will stain an entire axle, spot the driveway a good three foot circle, and cover the tailgate and rear window in a sticky film.

Few things spread like gear oil.

Top Bottom