Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ordered long arms, but questions about what else I need

Quote Originally Posted by KevinG View Post
    Awesome. Thanks! I probably would have been able to see that for myself as the delivery just got to my house. I'm probably going to tackle one end in a week or two. Have a Friday through Sunday off then. Did you guys exhaust flip, delete or use flex pipe?
    I had a custom section bent and welded up.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Awesome. Thanks! I probably would have been able to see that for myself as the delivery just got to my house. I'm probably going to tackle one end in a week or two. Have a Friday through Sunday off then. Did you guys exhaust flip, delete or use flex pipe?
    I cut mine and flipped it.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    I cut mine and flipped it.

Not too tough to do? I have a puny miller stick welder at home that I had assumed I could do the exhaust loop with. I also got a flex pipe just in case. I have seen in other threads that people used it and took it to an exhaust shop later.
    As far as the brackets for the LA, I have planned to bolt in and then get burned in a day or two later. I have another vehicle to drive, so I don't have pressure or a timeline to live and die with. We do have pretty good welder here at work that I can use, but don't want to tie up a bay if I can't get it done by the time we open the next day. I'm a planner, and am horrible with pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by wjtstudios View Post
    I had a custom section bent and welded up.

That sounds interesting. Still has the same amount of exhaust routing, just in a different place?

That sounds interesting. Still has the same amount of exhaust routing, just in a different place?
    Similar to the existing. I had already done the loop delete, so they just made a new section around the front upper mount. Image1552001017.643673.jpg

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

I totally get that. In all of these threads, I see people like Ddays and wjtstudios that have them, love them and use them. I have seen a few other people that have short arm (insert mfr. here) and said "I wish I would have just gone long arm to start". I can't find the guy that said, "geez, I wish I would have stayed on short arms. $2500 and they hang up on anything bigger than a speed bump, plus the ride is so nice that I get sleepy driving it"?
    Well as it happens, I do know a guy in the latter category. Not so much that he wishes he stayed with short arms, but more that he commented that his high clearance long arms didnít add enough benefit to justify the expense. He was thinking about changing to something even more radical, like a Genright set up. Of course, this fellow has a lot more money in his rig than Iíd ever put into mine.

After the several instances over the years where Iíve thought long and hard about long arms, Iíve always come back to the conclusion that *for me* the benefits donít justify the cost. But of course reasonable people with different needs and resources can and have come to the opposite conclusion.

Any way, if you go that route, please let us all know how it worked out for you.

Not too tough to do? I have a puny miller stick welder at home that I had assumed I could do the exhaust loop with. I also got a flex pipe just in case. I have seen in other threads that people used it and took it to an exhaust shop later.
    As far as the brackets for the LA, I have planned to bolt in and then get burned in a day or two later. I have another vehicle to drive, so I don't have pressure or a timeline to live and die with. We do have pretty good welder here at work that I can use, but don't want to tie up a bay if I can't get it done by the time we open the next day. I'm a planner, and am horrible with pressure.

Not too hard to do at all, a stick welder is probably going to be a lot easier to get to the top of it. Just cut it parallel.

I drilled the holes for the front control arm brackets and bolted them up, but said screw it on the rears... too much work. Just clamp them down and weld them on.

Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Well as it happens, I do know a guy in the latter category. Not so much that he wishes he stayed with short arms, but more that he commented that his high clearance long arms didnít add enough benefit to justify the expense. He was thinking about changing to something even more radical, like a Genright set up. Of course, this fellow has a lot more money in his rig than Iíd ever put into mine.

After the several instances over the years where Iíve thought long and hard about long arms, Iíve always come back to the conclusion that *for me* the benefits donít justify the cost. But of course reasonable people with different needs and resources can and have come to the opposite conclusion.

Any way, if you go that route, please let us all know how it worked out for you.

That makes sense and sorry if I came off like a prick before. It just seems like more people fall in the first category. I havent heard or seen where someone was like your friend.
    Where I am at is a big part of it. I'm stuck with stock control arms with 30k on the stock bushings that are on the way out, a driveline that is going to be a problem at some point, plus on top of that I am just ready for a change. I could go $1682 to get adjustable short arms, or $1000 more to get long arms. They literally delivered them today and will be sitting outside our garage if I can ever get off work. Don't make me question my decision!!!
    I will probably start on it in a couple of weeks. I'll update here with pics.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainWreck618 View Post
    Not too hard to do at all, a stick welder is probably going to be a lot easier to get to the top of it. Just cut it parallel.

I drilled the holes for the front control arm brackets and bolted them up, but said screw it on the rears... too much work. Just clamp them down and weld them on.

Thanks. That's reassuring. I was thinking that I would start in the back. My work schedule is kind of weird, but basically have two on, two off, three on, three off. I have planned the night before one of the "three offs" to pull the gas tank, get the jeep up in the air and have everything plugged in and ready to go the next morning. I read that the plug in stuff would be better than battery. Then after my wife and daughter are gone start cutting off brackets. I have a bunch of cut off wheels and blades for the recip saw, and I have an air hammer and compressor. I'm just hoping that everything goes smooth.

Thanks. That's reassuring. I was thinking that I would start in the back. My work schedule is kind of weird, but basically have two on, two off, three on, three off. I have planned the night before one of the "three offs" to pull the gas tank, get the jeep up in the air and have everything plugged in and ready to go the next morning. I read that the plug in stuff would be better than battery. Then after my wife and daughter are gone start cutting off brackets. I have a bunch of cut off wheels and blades for the recip saw, and I have an air hammer and compressor. I'm just hoping that everything goes smooth.
    Yeah definitely pull the gas tank. I used a sawzall to cut the brackets off really quick and then used a grinder to clean the cuts up. The front was easier than the rear to me, but overall itís really not too bad.

I needed to have a custom exhaust section made - a local shop did it but this was for the synergy kit. Without it, the exhaust was slightly vibrating against the control arm mount.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast