OBD JScan - Program With Your Smart Phone

sipafz

Caught the Bug
OBD JScan is a smart phone app that when coupled with a wireless adapter give you the ability to read trouble code and other things, like many other available apps. What makes this app different is the fact that it allows you to make changes to the ECU and save them!

I stumbled across this app the other day when another member on this site mentioned that he was able to reprogram his new tire size using this app. This sparked my curiosity and began researching the possibility.

I started by downloading the “free” app and did some browsing with some demo data stored within the app. It looked promising so I purchased a middle of the road WiFi OBDII Adapter from Amazon for $26.

IMG_8411.JPG

A couple of days later I plugged it in and connected my iPhone 6s. Once that was completed I opened the app and learned that you have to purchase a license so you can register your VIN. This cost me $15 for a single license. Once that was settled I was able to connect to the ECU, view all the normal feedback data and get into making some changes.

I started with some simple things like one touch all doors unlock and disabling the horn report when remote locking. Now I could have done this with the dash and steering controls, but I just wanted to see how it worked. Next I wanted to take care of one of my pet peeves, the TPMS light. I keep my tires at 30psi and my light comes on at 28psi. In the winter time, my light is on the entire season so I was really excited to make this change, but when I looked closer at the app I noticed that it only supported 07 to 15 Wranglers. Mine is a 2016 - damit! Not to be discouraged, I contacted the developer and got a response that the app was updated to include 16 - 18 JKs and should be released in a day or so.

My app updated overnight and I was able to reprogram the TPMS target to 30psi and indicator light to 24psi. After a cycle of the key the system showed the new target and a second cycle turned my indicator light off. That alone was worth the $41 invested and I’m a happy camper!

Here are some screen shots of the supported vehicles and programming options

IMG_8419.jpg

IMG_8420.jpg

IMG_8421.jpg

IMG_8422.jpg

IMG_8423.jpg

IMG_8424.jpg

IMG_8425.jpg

I hope you find this to be as interesting as I did.

Last edited:

sm31

You beat me by one day! :beer::beer:

My bluetooth adapter arrived in the mail today & I've been playing with the demo app for about a week. If it really works as advertised (and it seems like it does!) then I will have saved some serious time & money!!

Thank you for the write up!!

sm31

PS: here is a pic of the adapter I ordered. I don't know much about them so my selection process was pretty random. Hopefully it won't blow up the Jeep.

Attachments

• adapter.jpg
    adapter.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 783

sipafz

Caught the Bug
The developer does have a post on their website and Facebook page that list known adapters that will not work with the app. Subsequently, they also recommend adapters that have be tested. The one that I posted was recommended by another member, billallen who had success with it.

WJCO

Meme King
The developer does have a post on their website and Facebook page that list known adapters that will not work with the app. Subsequently, they also recommend adapters that have be tested. The one that I posted was recommended by another member, billallen who had success with it.

Did you happen to notice if they mentioned this working for the JL/JT or a future update for those models?

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I received my bluetooth OBD2 adapter in the mail a bit ago. Purchased the app ($20), plugged in the adapter, and had everything working within 5 minutes. So, the "Veepeak" can be added to the list of working adapters.

Played with the idle speed & daytime running lights for kicks, enabled the backup camera, and reduced the psi for the TPMS sensors.

There is a lot more functionality that I don't understand yet but I couldn't be happier so far.

I see that you enabled the backup camera. Do you have one installed and can you confirm that it works?

Ive been thinking about ordering one.

JJ151

Do you know if you can disable the ESC (electronic stability control) on 2016 and newer JK? The only thing I have found is to replace the PCM with an aftermarket unlocked (unencrypted) PCM.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sm31

I see that you enabled the backup camera. Do you have one installed and can you confirm that it works?

Ive been thinking about ordering one.

I don't have the camera installed yet but when I put the jeep in reverse the radio display changes, and the message "check entire surroundings" appears for several seconds at the top. I can't say for sure yet but it looks like it should work. If so, that alone pays for this little project. :)

sm31

Do you know if you can disable the ESC (electronic stability control) on 2016 and newer JK? The only thing I have found is to replace the PCM with an aftermarket unlocked (unencrypted) PCM.

Mine is a 2011 so I don't know how it may be different, if at all. It looks like you can turn on/off basically everything on the PCM. However, I don't know what most of the functionality is. I plan to do some serious research before trying much.

Specifically, there is a "traction control outlet valve..." 1 and 2 that can be disabled but I don't know whether that would affect the antilock brakes or whether that is even ESC related.

JScan has included some "canned" functions (like the backup camera) but ESC is not on the list. Since the guy is still developing it, might be a good one to request.

sipafz

Caught the Bug

As mentioned by sm31, the ECS can’t be disabled with this app, at this time. The developer can be reached via Facebook Messenger and has been responsive to my questions. Sounds like Trailhunter has a simple solution for you.

I don't have the camera installed yet but when I put the jeep in reverse the radio display changes, and the message "check entire surroundings" appears for several seconds at the top. I can't say for sure yet but it looks like it should work. If so, that alone pays for this little project. :)

I agree and I’m going to be looking into adding one! [emoji482]

sm31

Just got a note from the developer... he's working on the ECS right now. Hopefully it'll show up soon.

TRLJNKY

Awesome App and works perfect with my OBDlinx LX bt adapter. Shit I can even replace my procal. It does everything it did plus more. I love how you can enable/disable circuits also. Cant afford a DRB III tool but this got me a lil closer with diag. Thanks for the heads up on this one! Its legit

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I asked the developer about having the fog lights remain on when the bright lights are on. This was in the app prior to the last update. I tried it a few days ago, but it did not take. The developer got back to me and said that they are working on it, but wasn’t sure if they could do it at this time.

On another note, I tried to activate DRL or daytime running lights. I tried all the options, but no joy. Please let me know your results.

Lastly, I activated the backup camera. This worked and now I get a black screen that says “Check Entire Surroundings” when I’m in reverse. Thinking about this camera with night vision LED’s for $11.99 - 5% from Amazon:

IMG_8432.JPG

TRLJNKY

On another note, I tried to activate DRL or daytime running lights. I tried all the options, but no joy. Please let me know your results

I installed it and tried it out this morn. I set my DRL to low beams and they work when I put the vehicle in drive. TBH, I didnt even realize I had DRL's on the damn thing lol. The fog light trick would be nice especially for guys like me that still have factory candlelights 😁

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom