Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clutch

Clutch

What clutch do you run?
    I may be looking at a new clutch soon. Iím getting what I believe it the throw out bearing going out.
    I like centerforce but think it would be a little grabby for a jeep. The other Iím looking at and have had good luck with in the past is luk. Are there any others I should check out or just stick with a factory.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Take what you can! Give nothing back!

Or should I just replace the throw out bearing itself...

How many miles on the Jeep? If the OEM clutch has been good, just put another one in. The labor is intensive enough that just replacing the bearing isn't ideal, IMO. Replace the entire clutch kit. I've had the pleasure/displeasure of running a lot of aftermarket clutches over the years (not in jeeps), and in my experience, they just don't hold up as long. They may grab better but I don't find the longevity to last as long as OEM ones.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    How many miles on the Jeep? If the OEM clutch has been good, just put another one in. The labor is intensive enough that just replacing the bearing isn't ideal, IMO. Replace the entire clutch kit. I've had the pleasure/displeasure of running a lot of aftermarket clutches over the years (not in jeeps), and in my experience, they just don't hold up as long. They may grab better but I don't find the longevity to last as long as OEM ones.
    Iíve got just over 44,XXX on it. I was thinking the same about the labor aspect. But was also thinking the clutch itself is probably still good. I might as well do it all since Iíll be in that deep anyways.
    Most of my clutch experience is in cars and I wasnít ever easy on them. I guess with all the rocks Iím not really easy on the jeeps clutch either

Quote Originally Posted by black pearl View Post
    Iíve got just over 44,XXX on it. I was thinking the same about the labor aspect. But was also thinking the clutch itself is probably still good. I might as well do it all since Iíll be in that deep anyways.
    Most of my clutch experience is in cars and I wasnít ever easy on them. I guess with all the rocks Iím not really easy on the jeeps clutch either

Yeah, that's pretty low mileage.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Yeah, that's pretty low mileage.
    Itís a bit of a bummer they donít put inspection panels on transmissions anymore. But the mileage is what had me thinking just changed whatís bad.
    I think Iíll just pick up a factory style clutch and go for it.
    Iíve got a Desert trip in under two weeks and really donít want it to go out, out there. Itís got me starting to worry that the sings of throw out going out. The rotational sound is getting louder.

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Seems Iíve read less than stellar reviews of the centerforce for JKs. OEM seems to be the best bet overall.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    Seems Iíve read less than stellar reviews of the centerforce for JKs. OEM seems to be the best bet overall.
    Iíve read the about the same. They are great in street cars, from my experience.

Been Around the Block Bustedback's Avatar
    I just installed the Centerforce dual friction clutch and high inertia flywheel in my Rubicon. Itís not grabby at all, and the heavier flywheel really helps taking off from a dead stop without the low RPM lurch. I highly recommend it.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Hooked
    I'm happy with the performance of my Centerforce clutch. I do off-roading without any problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast