Clutch

black pearl

Hooked
What clutch do you run?
I may be looking at a new clutch soon. I’m getting what I believe it the throw out bearing going out.
I like centerforce but think it would be a little grabby for a jeep. The other I’m looking at and have had good luck with in the past is luk. Are there any others I should check out or just stick with a factory.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
How many miles on the Jeep? If the OEM clutch has been good, just put another one in. The labor is intensive enough that just replacing the bearing isn't ideal, IMO. Replace the entire clutch kit. I've had the pleasure/displeasure of running a lot of aftermarket clutches over the years (not in jeeps), and in my experience, they just don't hold up as long. They may grab better but I don't find the longevity to last as long as OEM ones.

black pearl

Hooked
How many miles on the Jeep? If the OEM clutch has been good, just put another one in. The labor is intensive enough that just replacing the bearing isn't ideal, IMO. Replace the entire clutch kit. I've had the pleasure/displeasure of running a lot of aftermarket clutches over the years (not in jeeps), and in my experience, they just don't hold up as long. They may grab better but I don't find the longevity to last as long as OEM ones.

I’ve got just over 44,XXX on it. I was thinking the same about the labor aspect. But was also thinking the clutch itself is probably still good. I might as well do it all since I’ll be in that deep anyways.
Most of my clutch experience is in cars and I wasn’t ever easy on them. I guess with all the rocks I’m not really easy on the jeeps clutch either [emoji23]

WJCO

Meme King
I’ve got just over 44,XXX on it. I was thinking the same about the labor aspect. But was also thinking the clutch itself is probably still good. I might as well do it all since I’ll be in that deep anyways.
Most of my clutch experience is in cars and I wasn’t ever easy on them. I guess with all the rocks I’m not really easy on the jeeps clutch either [emoji23]

Yeah, that's pretty low mileage.

black pearl

Hooked
Yeah, that's pretty low mileage.

It’s a bit of a bummer they don’t put inspection panels on transmissions anymore. But the mileage is what had me thinking just changed what’s bad.
I think I’ll just pick up a factory style clutch and go for it.
I’ve got a Desert trip in under two weeks and really don’t want it to go out, out there. It’s got me starting to worry that the sings of throw out going out. The rotational sound is getting louder.

TheGrendel

Seems I’ve read less than stellar reviews of the centerforce for JKs. OEM seems to be the best bet overall.

Bustedback

I just installed the Centerforce dual friction clutch and high inertia flywheel in my Rubicon. It’s not grabby at all, and the heavier flywheel really helps taking off from a dead stop without the low RPM lurch. I highly recommend it.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Gbint

So I was thinking... something I try not to do.... I know I’ve been a mechanic for 40 years, but I can still be uncertain about some of my diagnoses. I’m having a rough shift issue with 6speed. Changed oils a few times with no real improvement. Wondering if it possible my clutch isn’t fully releasing! Possibly the clutch fork wearing at pivot point or whatever. Any other suggestions ?

Bustedback

So I was thinking... something I try not to do.... I know I’ve been a mechanic for 40 years, but I can still be uncertain about some of my diagnoses. I’m having a rough shift issue with 6speed. Changed oils a few times with no real improvement. Wondering if it possible my clutch isn’t fully releasing! Possibly the clutch fork wearing at pivot point or whatever. Any other suggestions ?

The pilot bearing could be bad, the stock bearing is pretty small and fragile. The pilot bearing in the Centerforce high inertia flywheel is way beefier and it’s a sealed bearing.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

How's the shift into gear from a stop? I had mine not releasing fully and it was difficult to get into gear. Put all four corners on jack stands and put into gear with clutch in and the wheels would turn as if it was released.

Gbint

Thanks folks. I was thinking pilot bearing at one point as it was a bit of an issue going into first at a stop only occasionally. I’ll put it on my hoist and try this. Keep you posted. Quicksilver why was yours not fully releasing?

Top Bottom