Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never starts first time

Fresh Catch

Never starts first time

01 sport 4.0 rarely if ever starts on the first try but almost always on second. I get misfire codes on random cylinders. My question is should I start with just replacing plugs before looking into coil pack? Is there something else I should look at first?

Nothing but a Thing QuicksilverJK's Avatar
    Have you tried keying up to run position for a few seconds, then back to off, then start? This would allow the fuel pump to re prime the system before your first start attempt. I am leaning towards possible fuel pump or injector bleeding off.
    If that doesn’t work I would have you check for spark on first try, but I’m pretty sure you have the coil rails that sit directly on the plug and I don’t know of a way to verify spark on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    I usually turn the key to the run position for 3- 5 seconds before I crank to start with mine. 2003 4.0
    Might be like what Quicksilver is saying - possible fuel pump or injector bleeding off
    Last edited by nujeeper; 03-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by QuicksilverJK View Post
    Have you tried keying up to run position for a few seconds, then back to off, then start? This would allow the fuel pump to re prime the system before your first start attempt. I am leaning towards possible fuel pump or injector bleeding off.
    If that doesn’t work I would have you check for spark on first try, but I’m pretty sure you have the coil rails that sit directly on the plug and I don’t know of a way to verify spark on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by nujeeper View Post
    I usually turn the key to the run position for 3- 5 seconds before I crank to start with mine. 2003 4.0
    Might be like what Quicksilver is saying - possible fuel pump or injector bleeding off
    Thank you for your responses but yes I
    have tried both turning the key on and off several times as well as turning key and waiting several seconds before starting. Neither of those make a difference except I learned you can get check engine codes on your odometer. I get a check engine light every few days and it’s usually a misfire on cylinder random #. I have a CE light now I will check it to see.

Fresh Catch
    The CE light is random multiple cylinder misfire detected with pending codes misfire on cylinder 1 & 2. I have OBD II reader and I can gather live data but I not sure which reading I should be watching to get more info if anyone knows that?

Nothing but a Thing Strodinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackietaz View Post
    The CE light is random multiple cylinder misfire detected with pending codes misfire on cylinder 1 & 2. I have OBD II reader and I can gather live data but I not sure which reading I should be watching to get more info if anyone knows that?
    Start with spark plugs and I'd pick up a quality spark tester as well.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    If you want to see a broke college kid struggle through an LS swap, then here's your chance: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...546#post956546

Fresh Catch
    I picked up plugs today and my friends shop said they will check out the coil pack sometime next week. I will post solution when I get it figured out. Thanks

Honestly throwing plugs at it might take care of your misfire code and starting issue.. it's the cheapest place to start. No need for testers, pull the fuel relay, take each plug out one at a time and lean it against the block and have someone crank. If you don't see spark than the start looking into other possible issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Jackietaz View Post
    I picked up plugs today and my friends shop said they will check out the coil pack sometime next week. I will post solution when I get it figured out. Thanks
    I look forward to hearing what the solution ends up being.

Quote Originally Posted by G-mansjk View Post
    Honestly throwing plugs at it might take care of your misfire code and starting issue.. it's the cheapest place to start. No need for testers, pull the fuel relay, take each plug out one at a time and lean it against the block and have someone crank. If you don't see spark than the start looking into other possible issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
    Pretty sure this year 4.0 had the coil on plug setup. Basically a rail that bolts down onto the plugs, no wires at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast