Trip to California

Jsouder53

Hooked
My wife and I just started discussing the possibility of taking a trip to California this fall (most likely sometime in September or October). She wants to hit the beaches and the coast of course and I want to get some trails and camping in. We will probably be there for a week or so.

Just wondering about trails I should look into and places to see. Should we head to SoCal or the northern part of the state as I’m sure we won’t have enough time for both...

*We will still be running 35s and no lockers on stock axles, so I’m sure that will limit some of the trails.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Come through the Lake Tahoe area and do the Rubicon trail. Find another Jeep or two to convoy with you. Then head to San Francisco. October is their summer. Warmest month of the year.

California is a large state and you can easily waste your vacation time just driving between places if you try to do too much.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jsouder53

Hooked
Come through the Lake Tahoe area and do the Rubicon trail. Find another Jeep or two to convoy with you. Then head to San Francisco. October is their summer. Warmest month of the year.

California is a large state and you can easily waste your vacation time just driving between places if you try to do too much.

That would be great to do the rubicon! Is it smart to run it even having a D30 with 35s?

Thank you for that tip about not wasting time [emoji106]

jdofmemi

Rubicon with friends would be doable. You might need a strap or winch tug here and there with no lockers, but as long as you didn't push too hard before getting help, you could do it without hurting anything, and the trip is absolutely worth it.

I went twice last year and would go again as many times as I can.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
Personally I wouldn’t waste two days of your trip on the rubicon. If you break, your vacation is shot

Jsouder53

Hooked
Rubicon with friends would be doable. You might need a strap or winch tug here and there with no lockers, but as long as you didn't push too hard before getting help, you could do it without hurting anything, and the trip is absolutely worth it.

I went twice last year and would go again as many times as I can.

I might just have to wait until I get new axles with lockers, just for peace of mind. I think my wife would kill me if something were to break [emoji23]

Personally I wouldn’t waste two days of your trip on the rubicon. If you break, your vacation is shot

I agree. There are other places I would go if I was on vacation to sight see before I did the Rubicon.

What other trails might you recommend?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Just going to throw this out there....

Mammoth area - Bodie, the big lakes.... then cut across to yosemite.... then across to the coast at Big Sur..

Lots of trees, camping, and beautiful scenery.

Jsouder53

Hooked

Mammoth area - Bodie, the big lakes.... then cut across to yosemite.... then across to the coast at Big Sur..

I like the sound of that!! Are the temps good for camping that time of year? Or is it hot?

piginajeep

The Original Smartass

This but I would throw Titus canyon in going through Death Valley.

JAGS

Hooked
South Lake Tahoe is great to visit. And without doing the Rubicon, there are many trails in the area that are beautiful and easy to do.

Jsouder53

Hooked
South Lake Tahoe is great to visit. And without doing the Rubicon, there are many trails in the area that are beautiful and easy to do.

I’ll definitely have to have to go through that area as well! South Lake Tahoe looks awesome!

Jsouder53

Hooked
So my wife and I have changed our trip to California to a Moab trip instead, being that it’s a shorter drive we will have more time to play. Also, Jasont0311 will possibly be joining which will be fun.

jdofmemi

So my wife and I have changed our trip to California to a Moab trip instead, being that it’s a shorter drive we will have more time to play. Also, Jasont0311 will possibly be joining which will be fun.

I tried to answer your PM, but your inbox is full.

Bustedback

You’ll be much happier in Moab. The California beaches are highly overrated. The drive to get anywhere in California is long and boring, unless you take Highway 1. The price of gas is close to 4 bucks a gallon, even higher along the coast and larger cities. But if you wanna see people Shit on a pile of used needles, you can always go to San Francisco for the day. And as a bonus, you’ll find your Jeep has been broken into and all of your gear gone. California sucks.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

fiend

Caught the Bug
You’ll be much happier in Moab. The California beaches are highly overrated. The drive to get anywhere in California is long and boring, unless you take Highway 1. The price of gas is close to 4 bucks a gallon, even higher along the coast and larger cities. But if you wanna see people Shit on a pile of used needles, you can always go to San Francisco for the day. And as a bonus, you’ll find your Jeep has been broken into and all of your gear gone. California sucks.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

[emoji23] Keep it up. Maybe you’ll persuade more people not to love here and it will become less crowded. Make California Great Again!! [emoji23][emoji23]🤣

Top Bottom