Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gears and backlash

That 30 will be fine, I have chromoly shafts and reenforced c gussets .... I also wheel slow.... I don't bounce the Jeep of things, at least try not to ha. I usually don't upgrade either until I break it....... Helped the wallet some.

Quote Originally Posted by JKEmmy View Post
    That 30 will be fine, I have chromoly shafts and reenforced c gussets .... I also wheel slow.... I don't bounce the Jeep of things, at least try not to ha. I usually don't upgrade either until I break it....... Helped the wallet some.
    It's your money, but ARB money would have been better spent upgrading to a better axle, IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    They are

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    With an air locker they are outside of the bearings not inside. At least they are on the one I just broke.

I hear ya. Half the fun is fixing breaking building and learning for me so I guess time will tell. Solid advice for sure thank you. If I had the money I'd put 60s under there. Which I hope to do one-day.

Image1552252791.184256.jpgImage1552252815.120489.jpg
    Looks like this when it all goes to shit. Lol! That was with 5.13’s and 37’s though. I got away with it for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    With an air locker they are outside of the bearings not inside. At least they are on the one I just broke.

Lol, I honestly have never messed with one that had a locker in it. Well, not a selectable locker anyways. We have a JLU scheduled for a re-gear and the customer wants an ARB if the D30. Some people just have their minds made up.

Ouch lol.... Yeah that's why I wanna make sure this backlash is right! One less thing I gotta work about I hope being in this 30.

Quote Originally Posted by JKEmmy View Post
    Ouch lol.... Yeah that's why I wanna make sure this backlash is right! One less thing I gotta work about I hope being in this 30.
    With 4.10’s and 35’s you’ll probably be ok for a long time.

Awesome thanks guys..... I'll probably leave it. I don't hear any movement or anything. Hopefully it's good so I have time to save up for a new axle haha.

Fresh Catch
    0.002" excess backlash on used gears won't hurt a thing in itself. Assuming the ARB was installed with a housing spreader and has correct preload, it'll be fine.

Let's say you install new gears and set the BL at an acceptable 0.010". Within a thousand miles that will open up another 2 thou easily. Bearings wear a llittle, the gears break in a little, etc. That's just part of it. Another reason competent installers will set them up on the very slightly tighter and deeper side. So they are dead nuts in spec once broken in.

The fact he reinstalled to where the BL was before will also make sure the contact pattern remains unchanged. Assuming it was good before, now everything is right back was it was. Changing the pattern on used gears will very likely cause new noise to be generated. Decreasing BL will also tighten up the pattern.
    99 Ranger Truggy
    5.0, Atlas, 40" Treps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast