Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gears and backlash

Gears and backlash

Hey everyone. So I have a 15 unlimited Sahara. So a Dana 30 up front. I have also regeared to 4.10s. I have never installed a locker so I had a shop install an ARB air locker for me. When I picked up the Jeep I asked what the backlash was and he said he took out the previous gears at .12 so he put it back at .12. Reading around, that sounds a little sloppy. I'm seeing .10 at the most. Not sure if it's different for the ARB or because I'm running 4.10s now. So is this a little loose? Should I adjust? And if I do will this change my gear pattern? Can I get away with just popping open the diff and adjusting those tension rollers on each side? Thanks guys.

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Sounds like a lazy shop to me. That’s out of spec from everything I’ve read.

Gears and backlash

What the fuck? No. Backlash is supposed to be between .006-.010. That guys sucks. That little bit of change will most likely not change the pattern.

You don’t have tension rollers in there, you have shims. If it’s this bad now I doubt there’s even enough preload on the carrier bearings. If there is, try finding a .005 shim on the drivers side and moving it over to the passenger side of the carrier. Then check the pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by JKEmmy View Post
    Hey everyone. So I have a 15 unlimited Sahara. So a Dana 30 up front. I have also regeared to 4.10s. I have never installed a locker so I had a shop install an ARB air locker for me. When I picked up the Jeep I asked what the backlash was and he said he took out the previous gears at .12 so he put it back at .12. Reading around, that sounds a little sloppy. I'm seeing .10 at the most. Not sure if it's different for the ARB or because I'm running 4.10s now. So is this a little loose? Should I adjust? And if I do will this change my gear pattern? Can I get away with just popping open the diff and adjusting those tension rollers on each side? Thanks guys.
    Assuming that you wrote the numbers wrong and you’re at .012 inches which is on the high side. If you meant .12mm then you’re a little tight. I believe the range is .006 to .010 inch or .15mm to .25mm. I’m not familiar with any “tension rollers”. Backlash is set with shims to shift the carrier from side to side

O crap sorry I missed a 0 it's .012. but that's still a little sloppy I thought. So we have shims for adjustment not rollers ok. So I would have to remove the locker and shim it? Do I need to remove the front drive shaft again as well?

Quote Originally Posted by JKEmmy View Post
    O crap sorry I missed a 0 it's .012. but that's still a little sloppy I thought. So we have shims for adjustment not rollers ok. So I would have to remove the locker and shim it? Do I need to remove the front drive shaft again as well?
    No

I thought the shims were inside the carrier on a D30. They are on my son's XJ, anyway.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    Build Thread: The Adventures of Fiona
    '08 JKR Rescue Green 2-Door

I believe those roller adjusters are in Ford 9” carriers

In all honesty, you’re probably ok at .012”. The fact that you’re locking a 30 is a bigger concern.

Quote Originally Posted by BaddestCross View Post
    I thought the shims were inside the carrier on a D30. They are on my son's XJ, anyway.

--
    Build Thread - Adventures of Fiona - https://wayalife.com/showthread.php?t=47407
    They are

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast