Going to Pittsburgh, what to do?

nbunga

Caught the Bug
My wife has a conference this week in Pittsburgh. I’m gonna tag along just to get away for a few days. I’ll be on my own for most of the day Thursday and Friday while she’s at the conference. Just looking for things to do in the area. We’ll be staying downtown. I’m pretty much game for anything. Also any recommendations for good places to eat in the evening would be helpful.

Also I’ll have my Jeep, so if there’s anywhere to go play in the dirt nearby, that would be nice.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Try not to get shot.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Luckily I’ll be armed myself.

:cheesy: GTFO! Pittsburgh is many things but a dangerous city it is not.

Damn, I have people off this week or I'd take a day off & show you around. Where are you staying downtown?

The strip district is a pretty cool area with a bunch of shops & restaurants. You can walk all over the downtown area and check the sights out without worry. There's a lot of cool architecture in Pittsburgh if you're into that. One really nice museum that I love is the Heinz History Center https://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/. It's several stories tall and you can spend a lot of time there. IDK, there are a lot of sights to see, but not sure what you're after.

As far as any close trails, I wish I could say there are, but most are a ways drive off.

JKbrick

When we went to a penguins game we ate at a place the players go to, they had little liquor lockers if I recall and it was fine dining. No clue what it was called but we walked there from the stadium

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

nbunga

Caught the Bug
We’re staying at the Omni William Penn Hotel. I figured if it’s nice out I’ll probably just spend one day walking around.

Ddays

Hooked
When we went to a penguins game we ate at a place the players go to, they had little liquor lockers if I recall and it was fine dining. No clue what it was called but we walked there from the stadium

I'm not familiar with that place - I have to admit, I'm a casual hockey fan & don't know a lot of the player hangouts. I can say that after having shitty restaurant choices compared to pretty much every city in the US of A, Pittsburgh is not a full blown foodie town. There are excellent restaurants everywhere now.

Ddays

Hooked
We’re staying at the Omni William Penn Hotel. I figured if it’s nice out I’ll probably just spend one day walking around.

Great choice - that's an awesome hotel! One of the coolest in town

pitdtn-omni-william-penn-hotel-lobby.jpg

1200px-Omni_William_Penn_Hotel.jpg

If you don't mind walking you can get to the Strip district from there - it's probably 20 blocks or so.

Gotta check out Union Station - it's the old train station and the rotunda is a work of art. It's on the same street as the OMNI - Grant St - probably 10 blocks or so. In fact, just walking up and down Grant Street will keep you occupied for a good part of the day.

unionstation4.JPG

union-station-oct18.jpg
Are you there all day Friday?

dustinfromohio

I’ve stayed there twice, really nice hotel and there is a speak easy bar in the basement worth checking out. As others have said church brew works and primanti bros for food/beer, also check out Totins diner for breakfast if you end up north of the city. The incline is probably the most iconic tourist attraction, worth checking out.

Ddays

Hooked
Do you eat deep dish pizza because you like it, or because you’re in Chicago?

LOL, Neither! If they served shit on a plate in Ottumwa, Iowa, I sure wouldn't eat it just because I was there! :cheesy:

Hey, if you like that stuff, more power to ya, I actually took a guy there today that lives in Chicago and he ordered one of the damn things & loved it. :idontknow: I guess I'm jaded to these damn things since I live here, but as a touristy thing hey, have at it. Point is, there are about 2 million other places I'd go before there, one place definitely being Church Brew Works, but if you wanted to do a "Pittsburgh thing" evidently that would be pretty high on the list.

Jcf0527

Monterey Bay at the top of the apartment building on Mount Washington - incomparable views of the city -especially at night! Take the incline up and down for a unique ride!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
The best thing to do in Pittsburgh is to leave it on the turnpike and drive across state to philly ;) lol

Top Bottom