september trip to moab/arizona/colorado

Wethy

hey everyone,

my girlfriend and I are toying with the idea of using our vacation time to head down to Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. but I do have a few questions for some who might be in the know and have more experience in those areas than I. Being that we're in Ontario it'll be quite the drive.

I'm curious about a few things around that part of the US, like what are the temperatures like in late August and early September. this would help us plan the type of clothing we'd need. up here in Ontario we are regularly into the 70-80s that time of year. and maybe what type of weather would be typical around then as well.

we would like to spend atleast a couple days in moab doing some wheeling but I'm not sure what trails would be nice and not too demanding. (JK sport on 3" lift with 35s and open/open). and then a couple days going to the national parks there and in Arizona as well. and maybe a pass in Colorado would be the ideal plan while we're there. I do plan on buying the trail guide for Moab if we do decide to do the trip.

one thing is I'm considering flying in and renting a jeep to save on travel time. its about 24hours worth of driving so I could cut that down to a few hours of flying time. I definitely don't mind the driving if it would work out cheaper but I'm not sure what the rental companies are like out there and how much they cost so I'll still need to look into that. by the time I rent a jeep for a couple days then a car for the rest, it might not even save me any money ha ha.

I would definitely appreciate any insight you all could provide me especially anything that could help me plan a bucket list trip like this.

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
jeez that's steep.... that might make the driving/flying thing an easily solved dilemma. I cant think itd be that much cheaper to drive if its that much a day. plus maybe a 30-50 dollar a day rental for the rest of the 2 weeks. lol.
Benefit of driving too is you get to drive your own rig through Moab. Not someone else's. I'd imagine the satisfaction factor would be much higher

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Wethy

Benefit of driving too is you get to drive your own rig through Moab. Not someone else's. I'd imagine the satisfaction factor would be much higher

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

for sure it would. I'm just thinking about the "what if something goes wrong on the journey" and trying to atleast cover my bases. assuming I could do everything we would want to be able to do it'd be around a 5000mile journey there and back. and that's just direct to moab and back. lol and in 2 weeks its a lot of driving.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
I’m planning the same trip in late July. Driving from New Jersey to Colorado, staying in Ouray for a couple of days, and then to Moab. Meeting friends in Moab for 5 days of fun. They are renting from Barlow which is $800 for a three day rental. I’ve done the rental thing there before, but this time I wanted to bring my own rig. Should be a fun trip. My advice is to drive, you’ll definitely enjoy it more.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

SkyRubi18

I just came back from Colorado, Utah and Arizona trip.
I can recommend for Utah, Toquerville Falls, Top Of The World and The Barracks Trail last one was impossible to crossover I only made it once with winching across because due heavy rainfall days before anyways awesome stuff out there!!

Wethy

I’m planning the same trip in late July. Driving from New Jersey to Colorado, staying in Ouray for a couple of days, and then to Moab. Meeting friends in Moab for 5 days of fun. They are renting from Barlow which is $800 for a three day rental. I’ve done the rental thing there before, but this time I wanted to bring my own rig. Should be a fun trip. My advice is to drive, you’ll definitely enjoy it more.

I’d probably rent if it were a 5000 mi round trip. You should be able to see some cool places. Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce!

this is what makes the decision hard. if I rented I could potentially spend more time exploring Arizona Utah Colorado and maybe even Wyoming(Yellowstone) than half the time just driving there. lol google maps tells me a straight drive would be about about 3 days to get out to Colorado. at about 8hours each day. that's not bad but I feel like it could be better spent in Utah driving from there to each place for a couple days. that's what my real dilemma is.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
this is what makes the decision hard. if I rented I could potentially spend more time exploring Arizona Utah Colorado and maybe even Wyoming(Yellowstone) than half the time just driving there. lol google maps tells me a straight drive would be about about 3 days to get out to Colorado. at about 8hours each day. that's not bad but I feel like it could be better spent in Utah driving from there to each place for a couple days. that's what my real dilemma is.

Just so you know, almost all Jeep rental places in Moab only allow 150 miles per day on their jeeps. I think it’s like 40c a mile if you go over. Plan on also renting a car if you want to travel. There is a place in northern Utah that rents jeeps with roof top tents so you can live out of them. That’s an option if you’re the off the grid type.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
Just so you know, almost all Jeep rental places in Moab only allow 150 miles per day on their jeeps. I think it’s like 40c a mile if you go over. Plan on also renting a car if you want to travel. There is a place in northern Utah that rents jeeps with roof top tents so you can live out of them. That’s an option if you’re the off the grid type.

For sure. I’d rent a regular car full all the real travel and then rent a Jeep or SxS for a day or two on Moab. And maybe a day in Ouray/Telluride. Then I be hiking a bunch or rafting in some National Parks, but that’s just me.

Wethy

For sure. I’d rent a regular car full all the real travel and then rent a Jeep or SxS for a day or two on Moab. And maybe a day in Ouray/Telluride. Then I be hiking a bunch or rafting in some National Parks, but that’s just me.

Yeah id only rent a jeep for the time i was spending in Moab 2-3 days maybe. And a car for the other 10-12.

Enterprise rents with unlimited mileage and i cant think id put more than 150 miles on a jeep a day.... atleast not a rented one. Lol if i drive id be putting roughly 550 miles a day just to get there in 3 days lol

At this rate i figure roughly itd cost me 670 to rent a jeep for 2 days(taxes in) and 677(taxes in) for a small car for 12 days. Ill have to break down the costs of both driving and flying/renting. I definitely wouldnt mind driving. I drove from ontario to nova scotia in two days. Thats about 16 hours of driving so i know i can do it.

Sent from my SM-G960W using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom