Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: september trip to moab/arizona/colorado

september trip to moab/arizona/colorado

hey everyone,

my girlfriend and I are toying with the idea of using our vacation time to head down to Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. but I do have a few questions for some who might be in the know and have more experience in those areas than I. Being that we're in Ontario it'll be quite the drive.

I'm curious about a few things around that part of the US, like what are the temperatures like in late August and early September. this would help us plan the type of clothing we'd need. up here in Ontario we are regularly into the 70-80s that time of year. and maybe what type of weather would be typical around then as well.

we would like to spend atleast a couple days in moab doing some wheeling but I'm not sure what trails would be nice and not too demanding. (JK sport on 3" lift with 35s and open/open). and then a couple days going to the national parks there and in Arizona as well. and maybe a pass in Colorado would be the ideal plan while we're there. I do plan on buying the trail guide for Moab if we do decide to do the trip.

one thing is I'm considering flying in and renting a jeep to save on travel time. its about 24hours worth of driving so I could cut that down to a few hours of flying time. I definitely don't mind the driving if it would work out cheaper but I'm not sure what the rental companies are like out there and how much they cost so I'll still need to look into that. by the time I rent a jeep for a couple days then a car for the rest, it might not even save me any money ha ha.

I would definitely appreciate any insight you all could provide me especially anything that could help me plan a bucket list trip like this.
    '14 JK Sport Anvil 6-Spd 3.73 gearing
    Installed:
    -Rubicon Express 2.5" lift with monotube shocks
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    - Poison Spyder A-Pillar Mounts
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

Itís like $250 a day for rental.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

Quote Originally Posted by OverlanderJK View Post
    Itís like $250 a day for rental.

jeez that's steep.... that might make the driving/flying thing an easily solved dilemma. I cant think itd be that much cheaper to drive if its that much a day. plus maybe a 30-50 dollar a day rental for the rest of the 2 weeks. lol.
    Installed:
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

Nothing but a Thing Strodinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wethy View Post
    jeez that's steep.... that might make the driving/flying thing an easily solved dilemma. I cant think itd be that much cheaper to drive if its that much a day. plus maybe a 30-50 dollar a day rental for the rest of the 2 weeks. lol.
    Benefit of driving too is you get to drive your own rig through Moab. Not someone else's. I'd imagine the satisfaction factor would be much higher

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    If you want to see a broke college kid struggle through an LS swap, then here's your chance: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...546#post956546

Quote Originally Posted by Strodinator View Post
    Benefit of driving too is you get to drive your own rig through Moab. Not someone else's. I'd imagine the satisfaction factor would be much higher

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app
    for sure it would. I'm just thinking about the "what if something goes wrong on the journey" and trying to atleast cover my bases. assuming I could do everything we would want to be able to do it'd be around a 5000mile journey there and back. and that's just direct to moab and back. lol and in 2 weeks its a lot of driving.
    Installed:
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

Nothing but a Thing Mountainjk10's Avatar
    Iím planning the same trip in late July. Driving from New Jersey to Colorado, staying in Ouray for a couple of days, and then to Moab. Meeting friends in Moab for 5 days of fun. They are renting from Barlow which is $800 for a three day rental. Iíve done the rental thing there before, but this time I wanted to bring my own rig. Should be a fun trip. My advice is to drive, youíll definitely enjoy it more.

Iíd probably rent if it were a 5000 mi round trip. You should be able to see some cool places. Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce!

I just came back from Colorado, Utah and Arizona trip.
    I can recommend for Utah, Toquerville Falls, Top Of The World and The Barracks Trail last one was impossible to crossover I only made it once with winching across because due heavy rainfall days before anyways awesome stuff out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainjk10 View Post
    Iím planning the same trip in late July. Driving from New Jersey to Colorado, staying in Ouray for a couple of days, and then to Moab. Meeting friends in Moab for 5 days of fun. They are renting from Barlow which is $800 for a three day rental. Iíve done the rental thing there before, but this time I wanted to bring my own rig. Should be a fun trip. My advice is to drive, youíll definitely enjoy it more.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    Iíd probably rent if it were a 5000 mi round trip. You should be able to see some cool places. Zion, Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce!

this is what makes the decision hard. if I rented I could potentially spend more time exploring Arizona Utah Colorado and maybe even Wyoming(Yellowstone) than half the time just driving there. lol google maps tells me a straight drive would be about about 3 days to get out to Colorado. at about 8hours each day. that's not bad but I feel like it could be better spent in Utah driving from there to each place for a couple days. that's what my real dilemma is.
    Installed:
    - Cobra Cb 18 WX STII
    - 285/70/17 Duratracs
    - 1.5" G2 Wheel Spacers
    - Rigid Dually Spots
    -RC 2.5" swaybar disco's

Awaiting Install:
    -

Nothing but a Thing Mountainjk10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wethy View Post
    this is what makes the decision hard. if I rented I could potentially spend more time exploring Arizona Utah Colorado and maybe even Wyoming(Yellowstone) than half the time just driving there. lol google maps tells me a straight drive would be about about 3 days to get out to Colorado. at about 8hours each day. that's not bad but I feel like it could be better spent in Utah driving from there to each place for a couple days. that's what my real dilemma is.
    Just so you know, almost all Jeep rental places in Moab only allow 150 miles per day on their jeeps. I think itís like 40c a mile if you go over. Plan on also renting a car if you want to travel. There is a place in northern Utah that rents jeeps with roof top tents so you can live out of them. Thatís an option if youíre the off the grid type.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast