Axle Ukgrades

Jeepjk1522

Looking to upgrade the front axle on my 07 JK. Eventual goal is 4.56 gears as I want to move to LS Swap. Currently running Dana 30/44 with 5.13 on 37s. Any used market for axles to avoid spending an arm and a leg? Anyone willing to sell F/R rubicon axles as a set?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

Welcome to Wayalife. Might want to introduce yourself before you start the buying and selling stuff posts. FWIW run it as is until it breaks and save save save. If you wheel hard at all or plan to your going to want axles too.

fiend

Caught the Bug
Welcome to Wayalife. Might want to introduce yourself before you start the buying and selling stuff posts. FWIW run it as is until it breaks and save save save. If you wheel hard at all or plan to your going to want axles too.

Good advice. It’s gonna break soon, running 37s on 5.13s with a Dana 30.

Jeepjk1522

Okay not trying to start a buy/sell me post more just looking at what you all recommend for axles going to an LS Swap. Everything I’ve read says 4.56 gears. G2 44 a good option? Just a regular rubicon axle be able to handle 37s? Again just trying not to spend a ton on axles as I’m already forking out son money for the LS

jorgelrod

Hooked
Welcome to Wayalife, if you are eventually going to get an LS swap which is at least a good $20K, you should spend some of that money first on axles, otherwise you'll be breaking them constantly...

fiend

Caught the Bug
The issue with an LS is the significant increase in HP over the 3.8 that you have. Some people who are light on the throttle may be able to nurse 44s, but 60s would be a safer choice. For that, you’re looking at around $15k +/- for the axle set, plus labor unless you do all the work yourself.

wjtstudios

Hooked
The guys running LS upgrades are running 60/60s or 60/80s depending on tire size. Contact Dynatrac or Fusion 4x4. Either one will be able to help break down the advantages of different set ups. Neither company will try to over sell you and they will steer you in the right direction based of your end build and end use of the Jeep. Good luck

Jeepjk1522

Next to the forum, how do I go about the introduction?

DaCooyon

What transmission? The gear ratios are different depending on that choice. I liked 5.13 with 37's with an LS1 and 4L60e (axles were 60's).

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug
The problem with an LS is that it makes so much torque down low, that using light throttle really isn't an option for you. You'll likely end up going through R&Ps quickly. Here's a quote to show you some difference between the ring gear of a D60 and a D30. Unfortunately, I don't know of any chart that can tell you here's the most torque that you can apply to each size before risk of breaking it. That would depend on too many factors. Suffice it to say, the larger the better.

Here's some more specific info on both:

DANA 30
Dana 30 front axles have a 7-1/8″ diameter ring gear and come standard on Sahara and X model Jeep JK Wranglers with a gear ratio of 3.21. For 2007, an optional 4.10 gear ratio was available on towing packages. In 2008, this was changed and the only optional factory gear ratio now available is 3.73. Dana 30 front axles do not come with any limited slip or locking differentials. Dana 30 axle shafts are 27 spline.

DANA 44
Dana 44 axles have an 8-1/2″ diameter ring gear and now come standard on the rear end of all Jeep JK Wranglers. Sahara, Sport and X models come standard with 3.21 gear ratio. In 2007, optional towing packages were available with a 4.10 gear ratio. In 2008, the only optional factory gear ratio available is now 3.73. A limited slip differential is available as an option and as of 2008, a selectable electric locking differential is available as an option as well. All Rubicon model Jeep JK Wranglers come standard with front and rear Dana 44 axles, a 4.10 gear ratio and selectable electric locking differentials. Dana 44 axle shafts are 30 spline.

Here's a pic I took to help give you a better idea of ring gear size differences:

main.php

And, here's a couple of pics I took to help give you a better idea of axle shaft size differences:

Shafts
main.php

Stub Shafts
main.php

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Looking to upgrade the front axle on my 07 JK. Eventual goal is 4.56 gears as I want to move to LS Swap. Currently running Dana 30/44 with 5.13 on 37s. Any used market for axles to avoid spending an arm and a leg? Anyone willing to sell F/R rubicon axles as a set?

60’s and 4.88-5.13 gears

Exodus Jeeps has an LS swapped Jeep, and he does LS swaps, so listen to him.

SLO

60’s and 4.88-5.13 gears

^This. D60’s will be necessary. Either do it up front to save from breaking something on the trail or do it once you break something. Either way...

If you do a Gen 4 LS, you will most likely have the 6L80 transmission which is a 6 speed and with the gearing, I would recommend 4.56 to 4.88 with 37’s or 4.88 to 5.13 with 40’s. I have 4.88 with 40’s and I like it.

In hind sight, I wish I would have gone with a Gen 5 LT with the 8L90.

GLH

^This. D60’s will be necessary. Either do it up front to save from breaking something on the trail or do it once you break something. Either way...

If you do a Gen 4 LS, you will most likely have the 6L80 transmission which is a 6 speed and with the gearing, I would recommend 4.56 to 4.88 with 37’s or 4.88 to 5.13 with 40’s. I have 4.88 with 40’s and I like it.

In hind sight, I wish I would have gone with a Gen 5 LT with the 8L90.
I read somewhere today that Mopar is selling the Dana 60 axle set for the JK for just under$11,000.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom