Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Axle Ukgrades

[QUOTE=Jeepjk1522;1120956][QUOTE=A.J.;1120835]Welcome to Wayalife. Might want to introduce yourself before you start the buying and selling stuff posts. FWIW run it as is until it breaks and save save save. If you wheel hard at all or plan to your going to want axles too.

New to the forum, how do I go about the introduction?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Axle Ukgrades

You got the double post down! Lol! Go the "The WAYALIFE" click it then go to "Give us a wave" and say hello! 🏼*♂️

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    What transmission? The gear ratios are different depending on that choice. I liked 5.13 with 37's with an LS1 and 4L60e (axles were 60's).

The problem with an LS is that it makes so much torque down low, that using light throttle really isn't an option for you. You'll likely end up going through R&Ps quickly. Here's a quote to show you some difference between the ring gear of a D60 and a D30. Unfortunately, I don't know of any chart that can tell you here's the most torque that you can apply to each size before risk of breaking it. That would depend on too many factors. Suffice it to say, the larger the better.

Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Here's some more specific info on both:

DANA 30
    Dana 30 front axles have a 7-1/8″ diameter ring gear and come standard on Sahara and X model Jeep JK Wranglers with a gear ratio of 3.21. For 2007, an optional 4.10 gear ratio was available on towing packages. In 2008, this was changed and the only optional factory gear ratio now available is 3.73. Dana 30 front axles do not come with any limited slip or locking differentials. Dana 30 axle shafts are 27 spline.

DANA 44
    Dana 44 axles have an 8-1/2″ diameter ring gear and now come standard on the rear end of all Jeep JK Wranglers. Sahara, Sport and X models come standard with 3.21 gear ratio. In 2007, optional towing packages were available with a 4.10 gear ratio. In 2008, the only optional factory gear ratio available is now 3.73. A limited slip differential is available as an option and as of 2008, a selectable electric locking differential is available as an option as well. All Rubicon model Jeep JK Wranglers come standard with front and rear Dana 44 axles, a 4.10 gear ratio and selectable electric locking differentials. Dana 44 axle shafts are 30 spline.

Here's a pic I took to help give you a better idea of ring gear size differences:

And, here's a couple of pics I took to help give you a better idea of axle shaft size differences:

Shafts

Stub Shafts

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepjk1522 View Post
    Looking to upgrade the front axle on my 07 JK. Eventual goal is 4.56 gears as I want to move to LS Swap. Currently running Dana 30/44 with 5.13 on 37s. Any used market for axles to avoid spending an arm and a leg? Anyone willing to sell F/R rubicon axles as a set?

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    60s and 4.88-5.13 gears

Exodus Jeeps has an LS swapped Jeep, and he does LS swaps, so listen to him.

Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Build Thread-- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...l-II-The-Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    60s and 4.88-5.13 gears

^This. D60s will be necessary. Either do it up front to save from breaking something on the trail or do it once you break something. Either way...

If you do a Gen 4 LS, you will most likely have the 6L80 transmission which is a 6 speed and with the gearing, I would recommend 4.56 to 4.88 with 37s or 4.88 to 5.13 with 40s. I have 4.88 with 40s and I like it.

In hind sight, I wish I would have gone with a Gen 5 LT with the 8L90.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by SLO View Post
    ^This. D60s will be necessary. Either do it up front to save from breaking something on the trail or do it once you break something. Either way...

If you do a Gen 4 LS, you will most likely have the 6L80 transmission which is a 6 speed and with the gearing, I would recommend 4.56 to 4.88 with 37s or 4.88 to 5.13 with 40s. I have 4.88 with 40s and I like it.

I read somewhere today that Mopar is selling the Dana 60 axle set for the JK for just under$11,000.

Sent from my SM-G955U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SLO View Post
    I would love a 5.3 with the 8L90 just to run 87 Octane but still have ample power.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12