Needed: Maintenance Recommendations for Hinge Pins

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Howdy Folks,

A quick search of the forum didn't reveal anything obvious. If there's a link, feel free to tell me where to go<g>.

Stitch is a '15 JKU. I have chronic problems keeping the hinges working smoothly. At least every six months I -must- remove the doors, so i can clean the pins. Again, I've got doors stiff enough they'll stay where I leave them, even in a light breeze or on an incline.

I've replaced the hinge bushings with the teflon-like aftermarket ones. No joy. I've tried different greases, no grease, anti-seize...nothing seems to work any better than any other.

So, how do you keep your Wrangler doors swinging freely?

USMC Wrangler

This reminds me, mine are still in my tool box. Every time I’ve pulled my doors I remember I should’ve installed them only after putting the doors back on. [emoji849]

boardsurfer

Same as WJCO. The TMR inserts have done well. Doors swing freely and slide right off when I lift them. If you have tried different types of grease, maybe you just got a poor quality set. Or maybe the MI salt is to blame.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Which aftermarket ones did you go with? We have the TMR Customs Delrin ones and have had no issues. We just make sure there is no dirt/dust on the pins when we put the door back on. I don't know if this will help you at this point, but I did a write-up on them here and did some cleaning in the process: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/47534-TMR-Customs-Delrin-Hinge-Bushings-Liners-Install

Thanks. Checked the link. Basically same thing I've done.

When I pull the doors, the pins look like they've had hardened caramel applied. Now the temps have started to warm up, 3 of the doors screen when you open them and require noticeable force to move. They'll stay half-open in a moderately stiff wind.

For greases, I've tried white lithium, brake, axle, and general purpose. The result's the same.

Perhaps the next question is, with the Delrin liners (also what I used), is any form of lubricant even recommended on the pins? Maybe that's my failure...no lube recommended.

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
Swinging Freely in the Wind Again. Great Feeling

...my doors, of course. What were you thinking?

For those that aren't exposed to northern winters much, this is what I face about this time each year. With the burst of warmer weather we had, things got really bad last week. Took about a 5lb push just to swing the door. It'd stay put in a fairly decent wind.

Ordered new set of Delrin bushings. Pulled the doors, went through the motions, cleaned 'em up, replace the bushings. Now we're in business again. For at least 3-4 months. The last few years I've still had to deal with this, just not quite so bad, mid-season as well.

Pre-Cleaning.jpg

Pre-Cleaning2.jpg

Cleaned.jpg

It’s not a sealed sleeve so it will always get ugly. The trick to grease is to reapply regularly, I’d suggest marine rated grease. I’ve heard very good things about those Delrin bushings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Tumbleweed

While I don't take my doors off very often, I do not have the hassled you've had with the doors sticking.
I also have the Delrin bushings and live in Michigan. I lubed my pins with anti-seize.

12-mile

Image1554137596.613226.jpg

Used super lube twice a year for 5 years before switching to the delrin inserts a couple years ago. I live in Indiana, so similar conditions to Michigan. I’m about 5’5” and 125# and I’ve always been able to take my doors off by myself.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
While I don't take my doors off very often, I do not have the hassled you've had with the doors sticking.
I also have the Delrin bushings and live in Michigan. I lubed my pins with anti-seize.

Have also tried anti-seize w/delrin. No difference ultimately. :(

jtpedersen

Caught the Bug
View attachment 324219

Used super lube twice a year for 5 years before switching to the delrin inserts a couple years ago. I live in Indiana, so similar conditions to Michigan. I’m about 5’5” and 125# and I’ve always been able to take my doors off by myself.

Always get 'em off by myself. Just how easily's always the question. I clean 'em up couple times a year and just deal with it at this point.

Top Bottom