Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Needed: Maintenance Recommendations for Hinge Pins

Been Around the Block jtpedersen's Avatar

Needed: Maintenance Recommendations for Hinge Pins

Howdy Folks,

A quick search of the forum didn't reveal anything obvious. If there's a link, feel free to tell me where to go<g>.

Stitch is a '15 JKU. I have chronic problems keeping the hinges working smoothly. At least every six months I -must- remove the doors, so i can clean the pins. Again, I've got doors stiff enough they'll stay where I leave them, even in a light breeze or on an incline.

I've replaced the hinge bushings with the teflon-like aftermarket ones. No joy. I've tried different greases, no grease, anti-seize...nothing seems to work any better than any other.

So, how do you keep your Wrangler doors swinging freely?

Which aftermarket ones did you go with? We have the TMR Customs Delrin ones and have had no issues. We just make sure there is no dirt/dust on the pins when we put the door back on. I don't know if this will help you at this point, but I did a write-up on them here and did some cleaning in the process: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...Liners-Install
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

This reminds me, mine are still in my tool box. Every time I’ve pulled my doors I remember I should’ve installed them only after putting the doors back on.
    2013 JKU Sport "Spider" with some EVO goodies and a chop here and there

DIY trail/tube door build http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24449-My-DIY-Doors

Overall "build thread" http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?2...ker-quot-build

It reminds me that I bought a set, and have no idea where they went😭

Nothing but a Thing boardsurfer's Avatar
    Same as WJCO. The TMR inserts have done well. Doors swing freely and slide right off when I lift them. If you have tried different types of grease, maybe you just got a poor quality set. Or maybe the MI salt is to blame.

Knows a Thing or Two danford.lau's Avatar
    Just ordered a set .. excited to have doors off this summer for first time after owning Jeep for over 1.5 years

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Which aftermarket ones did you go with? We have the TMR Customs Delrin ones and have had no issues. We just make sure there is no dirt/dust on the pins when we put the door back on. I don't know if this will help you at this point, but I did a write-up on them here and did some cleaning in the process: https://wayalife.com/showthread.php/...Liners-Install
    Thanks. Checked the link. Basically same thing I've done.

When I pull the doors, the pins look like they've had hardened caramel applied. Now the temps have started to warm up, 3 of the doors screen when you open them and require noticeable force to move. They'll stay half-open in a moderately stiff wind.

For greases, I've tried white lithium, brake, axle, and general purpose. The result's the same.

Perhaps the next question is, with the Delrin liners (also what I used), is any form of lubricant even recommended on the pins? Maybe that's my failure...no lube recommended.

Swinging Freely in the Wind Again. Great Feeling

...my doors, of course. What were you thinking?

For those that aren't exposed to northern winters much, this is what I face about this time each year. With the burst of warmer weather we had, things got really bad last week. Took about a 5lb push just to swing the door. It'd stay put in a fairly decent wind.

Ordered new set of Delrin bushings. Pulled the doors, went through the motions, cleaned 'em up, replace the bushings. Now we're in business again. For at least 3-4 months. The last few years I've still had to deal with this, just not quite so bad, mid-season as well.

Pre-Cleaning.jpg

Pre-Cleaning2.jpg

Cleaned.jpg

Nothing but a Thing Snboarder113's Avatar
    It’s not a sealed sleeve so it will always get ugly. The trick to grease is to reapply regularly, I’d suggest marine rated grease. I’ve heard very good things about those Delrin bushings as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Been Around the Block Tumbleweed's Avatar
    While I don't take my doors off very often, I do not have the hassled you've had with the doors sticking.
    I also have the Delrin bushings and live in Michigan. I lubed my pins with anti-seize.
    '11 JK Silver 2 Door-ACE bumpers-37" Toyo Open Country MTs-Smittybilt sliders-Warn 10K Zeon Winch-3" lift front -4.5" JKU lift rear-Fox shocks-AEV heat reduction hood-ProRock 44-ARB lockers-5.13 gears-RubiCrawler-RCV Axles-Poison Spyder Crusher Flares-EVO Rock Skins-M.O.R.E. Battery Tray-Odyssey dual batteries-ProGrip Brakes-PSC Hydro Assist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast