Grandpas 1952 Outboard Restoration

So recently I acquired my grandpa's boat motar that he bought new back in 1952 for $100 over the years it has held up pretty well and no too many problems have been found so far.

Below are some pictures of the before and after rebuild of the ignition system.

Attachments

• 20190312_190337.jpg
    20190312_190337.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 136
  • 20190312_173630.jpg
    20190312_173630.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 138

Brute

Hooked
You have to find non ethanol gas for your outboards...I do and it's worth it; even for brand new engines...

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
You have to find non ethanol gas for your outboards...I do and it's worth it; even for brand new engines...

Yea this is true. My I/O is all fitted to take the ethanol luckily but still have to do a good carbon cleaning mid summer.

Aren’t some of the newer Merc outboards able to run on ethanol trouble free?

Amazing it still runs...

Yes I was very happy to find out it did, forchutently they sale ethanol free fuel here and i run that in all my small engines, the jeep and outboard and two stroke engines. The jeep actually responds better and gets better fuel milage. I will post a video of it once I finish the restoration of the ignition system.

Yea this is true. My I/O is all fitted to take the ethanol luckily but still have to do a good carbon cleaning mid summer.

I believe so... but I'm not sure if it's a certain model you have to buy.

Brute

Hooked

It's possible, but I'm not taking any chances...up here in the PNW there is a lot of moisture in the air...ethanol fuel, especially if you run the tank down below half, will attract water that phases out of the fuel and settles into the bottom of your tank...as far as I know, no one has invented an engine that that burns water...

TheGrendel

It's possible, but I'm not taking any chances...up here in the PNW there is a lot of moisture in the air...ethanol fuel, especially if you run the tank down below half, will attract water that phases out of the fuel and settles into the bottom of your tank...as far as I know, no one has invented an engine that that burns water...

Yep. Phase separation is the biggest issue with ethanol in boats.

Are you talking about like e 85 and flex fuel? Or do you mean the 10% that comes in all the gas? I know go run the higher percentages you need some different o rings and seals or it will eat it. The 10% in regular gas can run in anything it just gums up if it sits.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Are you opening up a motor in your dining room? :thinking:

When your shop is not insulated and their is no heat installed yet and it's cold as hell outside and its snowing, i will take my indoor work room vs freezing my balls off, on a side note the reason their is no insulation or heater yet is my house is brand new and it's not the right time of year to install insulation in a cold ass garage with moisture present. :crazyeyes:

Brute

Hooked
I've rigged more trolling lures on the kitchen table than in my garage workshop...it's closer to the coffee...

Gbint

Years ago my oldest boy dragged home a 3hp evenrude from someone’s garbage. A little work on the carb and all was good. Built a small boat from mechanics illustrated from the 50’s using only one sheet of plywood. Fun for years. Wish I could find those plans again.

Years ago my oldest boy dragged home a 3hp evenrude from someone’s garbage. A little work on the carb and all was good. Built a small boat from mechanics illustrated from the 50’s using only one sheet of plywood. Fun for years. Wish I could find those plans again.

Nice that's all I have had to do to this thing and the magnetos, getting ready to rebuild the carb and then testing and calibration, let me see if I can find those plans for ya i have access to so old stuff including boats and stuff. I also belong to a vintage boat club so they may have them too.

Top Bottom