DOT Beadlocks

Hoffer

What are the options on street legal beadlocks?

Hutchinson says they are DOT compliant

KMC seem to be popular right now

Thanks in advance

fiend

Caught the Bug
This DOT compliance issue surfaces periodically, seemingly by a poster who assumes it has significance. But does it really? I have never seen any actual or anecdotal evidence of it. FWIW, I’ve been running Chamber Pro IIs for years with no hassle from the po pos.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Hoffer

This DOT compliance issue surfaces periodically, seemingly by a poster who assumes it has significance. But does it really? I have never seen any actual or anecdotal evidence of it. FWIW, I’ve been running Chamber Pro IIs for years with no hassle from the po pos.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

So this could go a few ways.

#1 Hutchinson says DOT compliant which means not officially DOT approved.
Is there any DOT approved wheels?

#2 + #3 disregards DOT

What wheels are people most comfortable running or has the best track record on the road?

What rims have more of a problem holding air for extended periods?

Ddays

Hooked

#2 + #3 disregards DOT

What wheels are people most comfortable running or has the best track record on the road?

What is it that has you concerned? Unless the police are pulling people over all of a sudden and checking the wheels for a DOT stamp on them, there really isn't an issue running beadlocks on the street - many many people do so. These wheels are completely safe BUT you do need to check them periodically, like checking the ring bolts every oil change. Mine haven't needed any tightening in the 4 years I've run them on the street. Consider the beating these wheels take running the Baja or KOH races and I would be willing to bet that there's not a situation on the street that punishes wheels anywhere near what those guys do.

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug

#2 + #3 disregards DOT

Hutchinson's do have a DOT stamp on them FWIW

Hoffer

What is it that has you concerned? Unless the police are pulling people over all of a sudden and checking the wheels for a DOT stamp on them, there really isn't an issue running beadlocks on the street - many many people do so. These wheels are completely safe BUT you do need to check them periodically, like checking the ring bolts every oil change. Mine haven't needed any tightening in the 4 years I've run them on the street. Consider the beating these wheels take running the Baja or KOH races and I would be willing to bet that there's not a situation on the street that punishes wheels anywhere near what those guys do.

Never stated I was worried about being pulled over.

More worried about holding air pressure over long hauls which DOT approved might have an advantage.

jdofmemi

Never stated I was worried about being pulled over.

More worried about holding air pressure over long hauls which DOT approved might have an advantage.

Here is the info quoted from Trail Ready. I think the other reputable companies would be the same.
DOT compliant is one thing, going through the process of approval to get the stamp is another.

Below is a direct quote:

All TR Wheels are DOT compliant. However, our Real Beadlock wheels are still marked as “intended for off road use”. Because of the one variable we have no control over, the tire, and the operation and maintenance needed for some tire wheel combinations(see comments on spacers below), we choose mark the wheel that way and let the end user decide how to use the wheels to fit his/her needs. More info here https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-2002-title49-vol5/pdf/CFR-2002-title49-vol5-sec571-120.pdf

I read that before I mounted my trail readys. I thought it was a lame excuse. Really? Blaming the tire. No other wheel manufacturer does that. Or least that I know of.

Anyway. I’m happy with them and have never had to add air. Even with months long of zero driving just sitting. Zero air pressure change

bhaner

Those look like a chore to mount.

How did they go together for you?

Not bad actually. Tire mounts on the wheel just like a normal tire and wheel combo. Then just bust the back side bead loose.

6 studs inside each wheel. There is a special block you use to push the tire in to give you room to work.

After you do the first one and figure it out they are just as fast to put together as normal bead locks.

Top Bottom