Thread: 14 coilover

Fresh Catch

14 coilover

I have Evo long arm high clarance and evo coilover kit.
    Does anyone know if I can upgrade me rig to 14 ? And what is the best way to do that with keeping max of 4.5 lift?
    Towers?
    I am running 37 tire on my 2013 jku.
    Dana 60 rear normal width.
    And Dana 44 in the front - normal width

Quote Originally Posted by white jk View Post
    I have Evo long arm high clarance and evo coilover kit.
    Does anyone know if I can upgrade me rig to 14 ? And what is the best way to do that with keeping max of 4.5 lift?
    Towers?
    I am running 37 tire on my 2013 jku.
    Dana 60 rear normal width.
    And Dana 44 in the front - normal width
    You do NOT want 14" coilovers. Installing a set would just be a waste of money being that you would need to run limiting straps. Without the straps, your driveshafts would bind. Trust me, I've run this exact setup in the past.

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    You do NOT want 14" coilovers. Installing a set would just be a waste of money being that you would need to run limiting straps. Without the straps, your driveshafts would bind. Trust me, I've run this exact setup in the past.
    Cant you run a limiting strap off the pumpkin just for the driveshaft and still get additional travel at the wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrendel View Post
    Cant you run a limiting strap off the pumpkin just for the driveshaft and still get additional travel at the wheels?
    Only if you have enough up travel on the opposite side. Towers and lots of cutting ....

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Knows a Thing or Two TheGrendel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Only if you have enough up travel on the opposite side. Towers and lots of cutting ....

Makes sense. Also would probably want wider axles that standard JK width.

Lol, I cant tell you how many times Ive had this conversation with guys, especially running 40s. Guy has a DTD setup and thinks hes going to gain something by cutting it all off and going with something different that uses 14 COs. Im like, Arent you stuffing the tires already? What do you think the limiting straps on the cantilever are for? I actually had to send my front drive shaft back to Reel for some clearancing because it would bind at full droop. Pretty sure adding a couple of more inches would only make that worse.

I do know a guy local to me running 14 coil overs and he has to sit sky high, even with hardly any pre-load. It looks janky and when they do take it off-road it looks and feels sketchy because the cog is all fucked up.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus Jeeps View Post
    Lol, I cant tell you how many times Ive had this conversation with guys, especially running 40s. Guy has a DTD setup and thinks hes going to gain something by cutting it all off and going with something different that uses 14 COs. Im like, Arent you stuffing the tires already? What do you think the limiting straps on the cantilever are for? I actually had to send my front drive shaft back to Reel for some clearancing because it would bind at full droop. Pretty sure adding a couple of more inches would only make that worse.

I do know a guy local to me running 14 coil overs and he has to sit sky high, even with hardly any pre-load. It looks janky and when they do take it off-road it looks and feels sketchy because the cog is all fucked up.
    Oh yeah, it's hard to explain this to people when their dead set in their belief that a longer coilover has to be better. It's good to have a shop like yours on here to help provide GOOD advice and information and based on real EXPERIENCE.

Nothing but a Thing Angry Aussie's Avatar
    Oh yeah, it's hard to explain this to people when their dead set in their belief that a longer coilover has to be better. It's good to have a shop like yours on here to help provide GOOD advice and information and based on real EXPERIENCE.
    And he is an awesome dude as well! Had the pleasure of wheeling with him and it was a blast. Such a cool guy.