P2504 ‐ Charging System Output High - Help

MericaMade

Anyone ever get P2504 code Charging System High Voltage? I was driving home a few nights ago and out of no where all my lights on the jeep went out for about 2 seconds and came back on. They battery dash light came on along with the sway bar light. Got home checked DTC and got the P2504 code?.

It did it to me again this morning. I was watching my voltage and it was at 14.7 then out of know where jeep starting chiming and check engine came on. What are some common issue for this?

Couldb a bad ground be a issue?
No,
If you're alternator is outputting more voltage than it should you have a bad voltage rectifier/ regulator. Which is the backside of the alternator, looking at swapping the alternator out once you verify its overcharging with a multimeter.

MericaMade

No,
If you're alternator is outputting more voltage than it should you have a bad voltage rectifier/ regulator. Which is the backside of the alternator, looking at swapping the alternator out once you verify its overcharging with a multimeter.

Ok, well then that will be covered under warranty I assume?

G-mansjk

I'd check grounds and clean terminals before anything else. Resistance from corrosion could cause charging issues. I think I sorted plate in the battery will do the same if memory serves me correctly.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

WillysJkJeeper

Also check and make sure there are no aftermarket wiring on top of the battery terminals nuts that tighten the clamp of the terminals to the battery posts. I ve seen this cause issues with the charging of the battery.
Putting any wiring on those nuts will cause the termnials to not make a tight connection on the battery which in return make the bcm send out signal to make the alternator put more voltage out to the alternator.

The nuts are the ones with the green circles.

Last edited:

MericaMade

Also check and make sure there are no aftermarket wiring on top of the battery terminals nuts that tighten the clamp of the terminals to the battery posts. I ve seen this cause issues with the charging of the battery.
Putting any wiring on those nuts will cause the termnials to not make a tight connection on the battery which in return make the bcm send out signal to make the alternator put more voltage out to the alternator.

Now that is very interesting. That's how I have my radio hooked up directly to those bolts I'll change it all today. Thanks.

MericaMade

So, I check the ground and moved the race radios power terminals and poof issues gone and has not popped back up. Thanks for the help.

leapdog1

I had this when I was running dual batteries
What solved it? I have a dual battery set up and was getting battery light. Checked codes and have P2504. Voltage didn't spike though the monitor I installed indicated a drop. I have a new alternator. After replacing that, I got the battery light again and disconnected the house battery.

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
What solved it? I have a dual battery set up and was getting battery light. Checked codes and have P2504. Voltage didn't spike though the monitor I installed indicated a drop. I have a new alternator. After replacing that, I got the battery light again and disconnected the house battery.
I sold the Jeep, it fixed itself. But it did go away after I removed the dual set up

Top Bottom