VIDEO : LONELY ROAD to Alamo - A Trek Across the Desert National Wildlife Refuge

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
It's hard to imagine but just north of all the glitz and glamour that is the City of Las Vegas, lies the 2nd largest wildlife refuge in the country and the largest one in the lower 48 states. I am of course talking about the Desert National Wildlife Refuge and it really is about as beautiful as it is vast. Unfortunately, a majority of it does lies within the restricted, Nellis Air Force Base (think Area 51) but a good portion of it can still be traversed in a 4WD vehicle like a Jeep. Of the many routes you can explore, our favorite is also one of the most remote and potentially dangerous ones and that is, the Road to Alamo.

Back in the early 1900's, pioneers established a stage route that connected Corn Creek to the town of Alamo, which is located over 70 miles to the north and in the lush Pahranagat Valley. It was created to help transport goods and supplies to the booming mines and towns of southern Nevada and today, you can still travel along on the exact same rough and rugged road. For better or for worse, the road is in a National Wildlife Refuge and so it is well marked and even has informative signs along the way. Some of these signs remind travelers that there are NO services, NO water and very little to NO cell service out there and caution should be taken when traveling in the area. Also, there is a section of the trail that crosses a "dry lake" bed and more times than not, it is IMPASSIBLE due to being anything but dry. There have been many near life threatening instances where ill prepared individuals have gotten stuck at this point. Deep ruts filled with pieces of wood and other debris remain as evidence of people struggling to free themselves of the muck. With nothing to winch off of, the dry lake section of this trail should NEVER be crossed when wet.

With all that said, this short video highlights a recent overland trek that Cindy and I took across the lonely Alamo Road. Certainly, it's nothing fancy and there's no rock crawling to speak of but we do hope you enjoy it for what it is - a day in the life of WAYALIFE.

Although we didn't cover it in this video, I would highly recommend that you stop and check out the Visitors Center before heading out on a trek of your own, across the Desert Wildlife Refuge. They have great displays, tons of information on the area and even a nice little hike that takes you out to some cool stuff including an old historic cabin. :cool:

PLEASE SUBSCRIBE
If you enjoyed this video, Cindy and I would be grateful if you could please SUBSCRIBE to our YouTube channel!
https://www.youtube.com/wayalife?sub_confirmation=1

WIN a Pair of NEW WAYALIFE Shot Glasses!!
If you'd like a chance at WINNING a pair of all NEW WAYALIFE Shot Glasses, all you have to do is post up a response on this thread and let us know what you think of the video. Doing this will automatically enter into our new drawing and a WINNER will be selected at random and announced before our next video release. :cool:

IMG_3903.jpg

Trail JK

Gorgeous views! I’ve always loved seeing the natural patterns in sand dunes. Great video! You’re inspiring me to enjoy this great weather and hit a local trail. Thanks for sharing it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

drrags

Damn straight that's why we love Nevada - it's like the earth has its clothes off and you can see everything. I will never get tired of it. Thanks for the excellent video!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Heading home from Moab and then I’m putting this up on the big screen.

LOL!! Damn, you've been out that way a lot lately! Hope you had a good time. :thumb:

Here's to living the dream! 🍻

Love seeing the historic routes and towns you guys go to. One of these days we'll need to spend some time out in your neck of the woods.

Thanks! It really is nice out there. :yup:

Gorgeous views! I’ve always loved seeing the natural patterns in sand dunes. Great video! You’re inspiring me to enjoy this great weather and hit a local trail. Thanks for sharing it!

Weather has been real nice - first time for us in a long time. You definitely need to get out there and enjoy some of it :thumb:

The amount of places to explore out there is just crazy. Thanks for another cool video!

It's why we love it out here :cool:

Thank you for that 16 min of relaxation on a busy weekend.. Great Views! Looks like a peaceful day.

Awesome - so glad we could bring it to you :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Damn straight that's why we love Nevada - it's like the earth has its clothes off and you can see everything. I will never get tired of it. Thanks for the excellent video!

:cheesy: Now that's a great way of putting it :D

Never knew it was there! I’m definitely going to make this trip! Awesome video as always though!

Be sure to stop over at the visitor center and check it out. It's really nice :yup:

Nice video. It is truly amazing how wide open that part of the country is. Thank you for sharing

With any luck, it'll stay like that until the day I die :yup:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Pretty neat area and cool video bringing us along.

Every time you guys talk about lake beds all I think about is the whiskey trip before getting into middlegate when you said it felt like brownies and then Cindy got buried up to the frame. Lol

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Abntroop

Awesome, yet another trip to add to Laurie and I’s growing list. Great video as always! Thank you! House goes up for sale tomorrow, the clock keep ticking down!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

kpig

Wonderful video. I miss these scenes that remind me why I own a Jeep. there is more to wheeling than just crawling an obstacle. Sometimes we need to explore for the sake of appreciating the wonderful world out there with family. Keep em coming. Hope to see you out there again.

jeeeep

Hooked
very cool!

When I was younger and had my CJ, friends and I would explore Nevada from the Utah side.

We would get topo maps from the USGS, stock up on food and water, few jerrycans of fuel and go exploring.

It was always cool to find abandoned buildings. There is a lot of history out there and OFF LIMITS signs too lol

The desert can be a pretty awesome place :thumb:

Seahawkfan

Hooked
Another great video. Thanks for sharing your journey. Can hardly wait for the day when I'm home for good to really enjoy the way out places you two always seem to find. Keep em coming.:thumb:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
So cool. I never cease to be amazed by how expansive Nevada is and how much of it I still need to see.

jdofmemi

That was nice, and a good way to wind down after an excitement filled day of wrenching and changing tires on the Jeep.

I'm ready to get out into more of the desert in Nevada, Arizona, and even parts of Kalifornia

Top Bottom