We RIDE - The Story of Snowboarding

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If you love snowboarding and have about an hour and a half to kill, this is a great documentary about the history of sport and one that I think you'll enjoy. At least, we did. Check it out...

:cool:

Sharkey

Word Ninja
Great video. I learned to ride in the mid 80's on a Burton Elite Performer foam core board with metal skags (fins). Donner Ski Ranch (in the video) was our local stomping ground and I still remember trying to keep up with guys like Sims, Kelly, and some of the other pioneers. There was a local named Damian Sanders (also went by the name Billy Eyeliner) who really pressed the sport forward in terms of extreme jumping. He was the first guy I ever witnessed crank backflips on a board. He and is brother went on to start a snowboard company called Avalanche (no longer around). Sanders was crazy good and I still run into one of his riding buddies now and again at a local Reno ski shop. We laugh about the way it used to be. Of all of the resorts, only Donner Ski Ranch and Boreal allowed snowboarding. At Boreal, you had to take a test on the mountain to prove you had the ability to make it down the mountain's hardest run safely. Man...times sure have changed.

I still ride a Burton Craig Kelly Supermodel.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I'm a...ahem...little younger than Sharkey so he must have been one of the boarders I watched while I learned at Boreal myself. That consisted of my friends strapping a board to me, taking me to the top and saying "okay see you down there." Still remember taking out a ski school on my first run. But I was hooked.

Now I live 14 minutes from the closest mountain and while my schedule doesn't allow me to do as much as when I was in college, if it's a good powder day there is a strong likelihood that I'll be late to work. ;)

Can't wait to watch this video! Thanks for posting it up.

highoctane

Caught the Bug
It took almost 3 hrs to buffer it far enough in to watch it, but I finally got it done. Great clip. I still ride my 2006 Burton Custom X/Burton Custom bindings. Still have my 2006 Burton Shawn White board as well. I cant wait to get away from this trash can of a country and back to the states so I can hit the slopes in the prime time part of the season. Might try and make it to Big Bear. All I've ever done is eastern US slopes.

ozmanyyy

This was great, thanks for posting.

I've been riding my old Asym air with clickers since the early 90's:

8568572853_0872b8d05b.jpg

Last weekend, I finally tried something newer and ended up buying a discounted custom. Boards have come a long way in 20 years:

8569668784_ef20b334cc.jpg

Oz

Top Bottom