Which Rancho XL9000 shocks for 2.5" Lift (2011 JKUR)

sm31

About to order a set of XL9000's and I'm facing a dilemma pertaining to shock length. My build consists of a 2.5" (Clayton) lift and 35" tires on wheels with backspacing of 4.75". I will be trimming fenders for added clearance as well. At this time I have no plans to go to 37's in the future.

With that in mind should I go for the RS999326 & 328 (specified by Rancho for a 2" lift), or would a different length be advisable?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

sm31

To clarify further...

The Rancho RS9000XL comes in a "2 inch lift" size and a "2.5 - 3 inch" lift size. Oddly enough, the Rancho site itself lists the shorter option as a "0.5 inch" lift. Given my 2.5 inch lift but with changes to the wheel backspacing and increased room from fender trimming... will the longer shock body be a hindrance? Here are the compressed lengths of the different options:

Front/Rear 2" lift: 13.94/14.69
Front/Rear 2.5: - 3" lift: 15.66/16.11

I have no idea what point in suspension compression may be the limiting factor after the fenders are trimmed. Would it be the shock itself if I go with the longer option? Or would I be more hindered by the limited extension of the shorter shocks?

Thanks again!!

sm31

I think I may have asked a question with an obvious answer that I don't really want to do (before making the purchase). Which is to cycle the suspension and take some real measurements. Problem is, the shocks are a bundled purchase with everything else... since shipping to AK requires "creativity". :(

I think a more general question might be a better way to seek input.

Which would be "preferable"? Less bumpstop or more droop? I'm leaning toward the increased droop (within reason) but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

Saharaunlmtd

Caught the Bug
I don’t know if this will help you or not but I’ve run Fox shocks with a collapsed length of 15.6” with 1.25” bump stop up front and 1.5” bump stops in the rear.

I chose the bump stop size that allowed maximum compression w/o bottoming out.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

sipafz

Caught the Bug
I think I may have asked a question with an obvious answer that I don't really want to do (before making the purchase). Which is to cycle the suspension and take some real measurements. Problem is, the shocks are a bundled purchase with everything else... since shipping to AK requires "creativity". :(

I think a more general question might be a better way to seek input.

Which would be "preferable"? Less bumpstop or more droop? I'm leaning toward the increased droop (within reason) but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!

The best way to determine what you need is to get under the Jeep and do the measuring. Ultimately you want your bumps to prevent tire rub at full stuff, not shock bottoming.

sm31

That is definitely the ideal solution. I even emailed Clayton but didn't hear back. My dilemma is that my wheels & tires are in the same order... Or I guess "shipment" would be a better term. Saved a few hundred bucks that way.

I think I took the right route though. Studied some info on the Rancho site as well and eventually opted for the longer shocks. That will increase my droop by a lot more than my bump stop length so I think it's a net gain. And I still won't be too close to the bump stops at neutral stance based on some simple measurements. Oh well, I guess the proof's in the pudding. In 2 weeks I'll have an answer for sure. ;)

RCVRY

Word of advice; add an automotive grade clear coat to the shock body for extra protection from road salt. Mine have surface rust after first winter. I’ll be pulling them, light sanding and coating them when it warms up. Not sure what brand of paint I’ll go with. I’m thinking a gold fat metal flake like a 1970’s bowling ball...

sm31

LOL! That is a very good idea! My OME shocks stood up well around here but an extra coat of clear sure can't hurt.

RCVRY

That is definitely the ideal solution. I even emailed Clayton but didn't hear back. My dilemma is that my wheels & tires are in the same order... Or I guess "shipment" would be a better term. Saved a few hundred bucks that way.

I think I took the right route though. Studied some info on the Rancho site as well and eventually opted for the longer shocks. That will increase my droop by a lot more than my bump stop length so I think it's a net gain. And I still won't be too close to the bump stops at neutral stance based on some simple measurements. Oh well, I guess the proof's in the pudding. In 2 weeks I'll have an answer for sure. ;)

Sorry if I hijacked your thread. If the shocks are too long, will they let the springs come unseated?

Top Bottom