2016 Jeep Wrangler 6 speed

Joeyd94

Currently have 2015 wrangler automatic thinking about purchasing a 2016 Wrangler Sahara 6 speed manual. My only concern is I’ve heard the NSG 370 transmissions seem to have a good amount of issues. Anyone experience anything themselves or have any input on this? I heard they fail a lot. Not sure exactly how.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

TheGrendel

Currently have 2015 wrangler automatic thinking about purchasing a 2016 Wrangler Sahara 6 speed manual. My only concern is I’ve heard the NSG 370 transmissions seem to have a good amount of issues. Anyone experience anything themselves or have any input on this? I heard they fail a lot. Not sure exactly how.

as someone that always wanted to row his own gears, i went from an auto to a stick. but, the stick in the JKs is just not great. i would avoid it.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked

I haven’t too many issues with the trans itself on my 16, but the clutch design isn’t very good. There’s a lot of creaking coming from the pivot fork and the throw out bearing is junk. Dealer replaced everything under warranty 3 times in under 25k miles before saying there’s nothing else they could do. It’s just the way it is. Never had any issues like this on my 2011, but for some reason after 2012 has a bunch of issues. I would stick with an auto if I could do it over again.

WJCO

Meme King
The only issue I've heard of is the really early ones could pop out of first gear and there was a TSB to replace a synchro.

Joeyd94

Yeah that’s my concern I’m torn I have Auto now but want a manual transmission but worried about issues and possible money pit of dealer tries to pull the it’s not under warranty card. Thinking about purchasing a warranty for it just to cover myself.

desertrunner

My 08' and 12' 6 speeds have treated me well. I do read a lot about crappy throw out bearings but hasn't plagued me yet.

My dad has an 08 model year bought in 07 and from time to time likes to pop out of first, he has replaced a throw out bearing and clutch but it has 125k ish miles on it so not all that crazy.

I don't drive a 6 speed because it's a better tans or it's better off road because I think most would agree it's not, but the Jeep is my toy and I enjoy throwing gears. Can't say it has the best reputation for reliability but the 2 I have owned didn't give me any trouble (yet....)

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Weebz

Caught the Bug
I’m two master slave cylinders down already on my ‘17 and a squealing throw out bearing now but I still prefer the 6 speed

Last edited:

black pearl

Hooked
The only issue I’ve had is the throw out bearing went bad. But I’ll take the blame for that one ,because it’s been under water several time. Other then that it’s been fine.

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
bought my jeep new with a 6 speed.

Had the clutch assembly replaced (under warranty) @~ 3k miles because of the "clicking"; thought it was a throw-out bearing issue, ended up being a broken pressure plate fork somehow :crazyeyes:?? I received a LITTLE push-back from the dealer on this, as the clutch is a "wear item" but they ultimately decided to treat it as a warranty claim UNLESS they find excessive mud/debris during the tear down... I just kept repeating "you are telling me JEEP designed a clutch to start having problems every 3k miles and this is NORMAL?"

Since then, I haven't had a problem.

:twocents:

Last edited:

rl206

I bought my ‘13 w/ 20k miles about 2.5 yrs ago. I haven’t had any issues w/ mine. I have a very mild driving manner, not sure if that has anything to do w/ it... the reason I bought mine was ultimately to be a dedicated off-road rig and now, maybe wish I had gotten an auto for steep and off camber situations.

Ajkaz

I have an 07 Rubi with the 6 speed, lots of camper towing with 37's and a supercharger. I'm at 112K miles and its held up great! Original clutch still in it though the throw out bearing just started chattering and squealing.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
I’m not happy about the failures but I’ve always driven a stick. Luckily Jeep has covered all under warranty so far. I get bored in an auto.

Yea the older I got and the increase in traffic shifting gears got to be a pain in the ass (leg). :yup:

Boudica

So, not mine and not a 2016 but:
My brother has a 2013 Sahara manual with probably close to 100k on it now. No transmission problems for him but I will say that I have driven it and the clutch to me feels... I guess mushy would be the best word? It's hard to describe but it just doesn't feel as responsive as it should. My 2014 Sport manual is much more intuitive and comfortable. Just another data point for you.

Gbint

Currently having shift issues on my 14. It’s as if clutch isn’t fully releasing. However don’t think I’m having pilot brg issue. Clutch seems to be grabbing slightly closer to floor. Fluid full and no leaks. Stumped!

JerseyMark

I have had a few stick shift JKs and only had a problem with my 2010 at around 35k miles - throw out bearing was making noise and needed replacement. other than that, I haven’t had any problems in 10yrs of driving a manual trans JK

Bustedback

I absolutely love my six speed. I just replaced the clutch because the throw out bearing was really starting to make noise, but the clutch disc and pressure plate were still in good shape. I swapped in the Centerforce dual friction clutch and high inertia flywheel, very happy with the results, can’t wait to see how it does in Moab. The only nit I have to pick with the transmission is it doesn’t go into gear as smoothly as I think it should, it’s a little clunky.

Typed by my very own fat fingers on my iPad or iPhone.

Top Bottom