Muffler and resonator from other marques?

Let me explain. I have a '15 JKU and every once in a while wish that it had a good sounding exhaust. I know it will never sound like a Hemi, but I haven't heard very many V-6 engines that to me sounded good. I have heard a few Ferrari Dinos that had V6 and sounded darn good and then there are the Inifiniti G35 V6 engines that have a very distinctive sound that I kind of like, so it got me to wondering if using the resonator and muffler from an Infinity G35 would give me the same sound or close to it?

The Dinos are V6s and about 1.5-2.5 liters so most likely would have different acoustics and resonances as the 3.6 Pentastar and would not work, so I see that the G35 is a 3.5 liter V6 making about the horsepower and it got me to thinking if it would be possible to use exhaust pipe of the same dia and the resonators and mufflers as the G35.

What do you all think? Or maybe you know of some one that has already has done this exact thing or something similar and what their results were. Most likely not feasible or practical, but fun to think about when work is slow.

TheGrendel

Let me explain. I have a '15 JKU and every once in a while wish that it had a good sounding exhaust. I know it will never sound like a Hemi, but I haven't heard very many V-6 engines that to me sounded good. I have heard a few Ferrari Dinos that had V6 and sounded darn good and then there are the Inifiniti G35 V6 engines that have a very distinctive sound that I kind of like, so it got me to wondering if using the resonator and muffler from an Infinity G35 would give me the same sound or close to it?

The Dinos are V6s and about 1.5-2.5 liters so most likely would have different acoustics and resonances as the 3.6 Pentastar and would not work, so I see that the G35 is a 3.5 liter V6 making about the horsepower and it got me to thinking if it would be possible to use exhaust pipe of the same dia and the resonators and mufflers as the G35.

What do you all think? Or maybe you know of some one that has already has done this exact thing or something similar and what their results were. Most likely not feasible or practical, but fun to think about when work is slow.

different engine configurations give completely different exhaust notes for a whole host of reasons.

SLO

different engine configurations give completely different exhaust notes for a whole host of reasons.

^This. You won’t get the sound of a G35 but I will say that I had the Dynomax QuietCrawler and it sounded really good. Received a lot of compliments. There are a lot of different options and just as many opinions.

Hilop

Caught the Bug
I had a magnaflow installed yesterday with no resonator, dumped behind the axle. The sound is about as V8 sounding as V6 can get but I think all Aftermarket exhaust on Jeeps sound a little rice rocket.

NorseLife

I had a turbo G35 for a while. Bought it with 8 miles on it and built it up from there. It sounded amazing even the day I brought it home so I know (and love) the note you are referring to. However, it just wouldn't be right.

I'm new to the jeep world so bear with me but as a car junkie I can appreciate a massive undertaking in the mod department but it doesn't always click. This may seem long winded but I will get to my point in just a second. I have 2 different friends who have done some amazing work on their cars.

Car #1
Honda S2000 with a heavy cammed LS1

Car#2
Mazda Rx7 with a turbo LS3

They are vicious as hell and sound amazing. However, it is more of a shock factor to look at the car and hear what coming out of it. Its not natural. They did it for the speed but the exhaust doesn't fit the cars aesthetics. We even were on a cruise once and an old man coming out of a gas station told the S2000 owner that he had one as well his wife drove but that my friends sounded like something was wrong and it should get checked out.

Have you ever seen the video of the all electric Shelby Cobra? 1000lb of torque and 500hp its fast, its pretty bad @$$. It is silent. All you hear is tires squealing.

You are looking for an exotic tone on a 4000lb American tank. Drop a small block v8 in it. Hell even weld in a cheap glasspac just to see what you get but honestly if you pulled up in a jeep that had a ferrari purr coming out the exhaust my daughter would probably think it was "cute" (her terminology as a teenager :icon_crazy:)

Hope I made some sense here, and I'm not ragging on you just throwing in my keyboard oxygen.

Helmholtz

Guess i’ll Have to dig out my acoustical physics book and slide rule and see what I can figure out. No wrenches involved. Yet.

Top Bottom