Thread: Project 95 Jeep YJ

Fresh Catch

Project 95 Jeep YJ

Hey guys so Iím new here and Iíve tried doing a ton of research. My buddy is selling me his Jeep but he told me it needs a compete new rear axle. I found some used Dana 35s on Craigslist for roughly $200 but Iím not sure if theyíll fit. I found one from a 2003 wrangler I have my eyes on. Will it fit? Should I find a used Dana 44? Looking for something that will just bolt right up. I want to do it right but also keep it on a slight budget now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Also this is my first Jeep.
    1995 wrangler
    130k miles
    2.5L with 5speed manual trans
    Has an old 3in lift he said is more like 2-1/2 on 33in tires
    .IMG_2487.JPG

The axle from the 2003 will not work. The axles are set up for a 4 link suspension not leaf springs so you would need to weld new spring perches to the axles. If Iím not mistaken, the TJ axles were slightly wider as well. Itís better to find a rear axle off another YJ.

Good luck and welcome from Detroit

2015 JKU Rubicon AEV JK350
    1985 Jeep CJ8 Scrambler

Whatís wrong with the axle? Maybe itís something simple like bearings or shafts. Unless the housing itself is damaged, it might be better just to fix or replace worn parts in yours. Chances are a used YJ axle that you might find is going to need refreshing any way.

Fresh Catch
    Quote Originally Posted by fiend View Post
    Whatís wrong with the axle? Maybe itís something simple like bearings or shafts. Unless the housing itself is damaged, it might be better just to fix or replace worn parts in yours. Chances are a used YJ axle that you might find is going to need refreshing any way.

Iím not sure to be honest, weíre both overseas right now, he has it at a buddies house and I remember it being an amazing rig and for 1200$ I couldnít pass this thing up. He said he wasnít sure but he thinks the rear leaf damaged the housing and it was making a loud rattling noise. But I havenít driven it yet. Iíll be back to grab it next week.

Fresh Catch
    Iím building a 95 YJ right now. Pulled the 4 banger and 5 speed last winter and put in a 6.0 ls and sm465. Both are on a shelf in the garage. Building 1 tons now. Front and rear end are good but are coming out this winter as well as the 4Ē lift and 33ís. Everything is available

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app