Project 95 Jeep YJ

95YJ_Jonny

Hey guys so I’m new here and I’ve tried doing a ton of research. My buddy is selling me his Jeep but he told me it needs a compete new rear axle. I found some used Dana 35s on Craigslist for roughly $200 but I’m not sure if they’ll fit. I found one from a 2003 wrangler I have my eyes on. Will it fit? Should I find a used Dana 44? Looking for something that will just bolt right up. I want to do it right but also keep it on a slight budget now.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wjtstudios

Hooked
The axle from the 2003 will not work. The axles are set up for a 4 link suspension not leaf springs so you would need to weld new spring perches to the axles. If I’m not mistaken, the TJ axles were slightly wider as well. It’s better to find a rear axle off another YJ.

Good luck and welcome from Detroit

fiend

Caught the Bug
What’s wrong with the axle? Maybe it’s something simple like bearings or shafts. Unless the housing itself is damaged, it might be better just to fix or replace worn parts in yours. Chances are a used YJ axle that you might find is going to need refreshing any way.

95YJ_Jonny

What’s wrong with the axle? Maybe it’s something simple like bearings or shafts. Unless the housing itself is damaged, it might be better just to fix or replace worn parts in yours. Chances are a used YJ axle that you might find is going to need refreshing any way.

I’m not sure to be honest, we’re both overseas right now, he has it at a buddies house and I remember it being an amazing rig and for 1200$ I couldn’t pass this thing up. He said he wasn’t sure but he thinks the rear leaf damaged the housing and it was making a loud rattling noise. But I haven’t driven it yet. I’ll be back to grab it next week.

Hambone

I’m building a 95 YJ right now. Pulled the 4 banger and 5 speed last winter and put in a 6.0 ls and sm465. Both are on a shelf in the garage. Building 1 tons now. Front and rear end are good but are coming out this winter as well as the 4” lift and 33’s. Everything is available

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Kuboske

Rear axle...

Go to the salvage yard, buy a $75-$100 dollar Ford 8.8 rear with disc brakes. 250% stronger, perfect width, disc brakes, lockers available, 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Weld on fabricated spring perches, you can ditch the track bar. I did a spring over axle, conversion on mine. 5" lift, factory flat leaf springs. Decent ride and flex. A little bump steer, but not excessive.

Steve, aka Kuboske.

Top Bottom