TUCKING UP the TAIL END on JET : Dynomax JL Wrangler Muffler Elimination

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not gonna lie, we actually love the sound of the OE muffler on the JL Wrangler and it pained us to do this. But, after hitting the muffler countless times and breaking 3 exhaust hangers in the process, it was time to address its massive size. Needless to say, we tucked up JET's tail end by removing the muffler and installing a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe. And, while I can't say that I'm exactly thrilled with how our exhaust sounds, it isn't horrible and we do have a lot more clearance in the back now. Here are a few shots of what it looks like installed.

20190320190317-76459992-me.jpg

20190320190311-e4dc3a78-me.jpg

20190320190308-c57a5a17-me.jpg

20190320190321-f89a8df8-me.jpg

BUY a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe for your JL Wrangler
Dynomax 39537 Muffler Elimination
https://amzn.to/2U1EKhq

Buying from the links above will help to support this forum and at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support! :cool:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Nice! No more exhaust hangers needed! Lol.

Does it drone a lot like this or just loud like the old pre axle dump for the jk?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sure looks better. About how much louder do you think it is like that?

On acceleration, it's definitely louder but nothing too bad. I think it's the tone that bugs me the most. Fortunately, on the highway pushing 2400 rpm, it isn't so noticeable.

Nice! No more exhaust hangers needed! Lol.

Does it drone a lot like this or just loud like the old pre axle dump for the jk?

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have a drone or at least, one that would bug the hell out of me and make me want to go back to stock. We'll have to give it more time and testing to know for sure though.

Ddays

Hooked
That's a good exit point for the tailpipe. Better than where the JK's dump - right ahead of the rear axle. Probably much less drone. Mine is borderline annoying on long trips. I end up wearing wireless headphones.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That's a good exit point for the tailpipe. Better than where the JK's dump - right ahead of the rear axle. Probably much less drone. Mine is borderline annoying on long trips. I end up wearing wireless headphones.

Oh, believe me, if there were a drone, I would pull this thing off and reinstall the OE muffler. So far, at highway speeds, all seems okay. I can definitely hear that it sounds different but it's not horrible. I think I notice the sound most on startup/idle and when heavy on the throttle.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Oh, believe me, if there were a drone, I would pull this thing off and reinstall the OE muffler. So far, at highway speeds, all seems okay. I can definitely hear that it sounds different but it's not horrible. I think I notice the sound most on startup/idle and when heavy on the throttle.

I wonder what a race bullet would do to the tone?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
That really opened it up back there. Is there not room for a smaller dynomax muffler in front of the axle like the JKs have?

They do have another muffler that is smaller but it's a dual tip exhaust and not something I'd want to run. Not sure why but a lot of other companies are putting out dual exhaust setups too.

CJ5doc

On acceleration, it's definitely louder but nothing too bad. I think it's the tone that bugs me the most. Fortunately, on the highway pushing 2400 rpm, it isn't so noticeable.

Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have a drone or at least, one that would bug the hell out of me and make me want to go back to stock. We'll have to give it more time and testing to know for sure though.

I agree with Eddie on this... there is something about the tone that is just not right. It bugged me just enough that I installed a Flowmaster Super HP2 muffler inline with the factory resonator. This helped soften the tone and quiet down the exhaust sound.

Top Bottom