Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TUCKING UP the TAIL END on JET : Dynomax JL Wrangler Muffler Elimination

Cool TUCKING UP the TAIL END on JET : Dynomax JL Wrangler Muffler Elimination

Not gonna lie, we actually love the sound of the OE muffler on the JL Wrangler and it pained us to do this. But, after hitting the muffler countless times and breaking 3 exhaust hangers in the process, it was time to address its massive size. Needless to say, we tucked up JET's tail end by removing the muffler and installing a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe. And, while I can't say that I'm exactly thrilled with how our exhaust sounds, it isn't horrible and we do have a lot more clearance in the back now. Here are a few shots of what it looks like installed.

BUY a Dynomax Muffler Elimination Pipe for your JL Wrangler
    Dynomax 39537 Muffler Elimination
    https://amzn.to/2U1EKhq

Buying from the links above will help to support this forum and at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!

Sure looks better. About how much louder do you think it is like that?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Nice! No more exhaust hangers needed! Lol.

Does it drone a lot like this or just loud like the old pre axle dump for the jk?
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

October 16, 2013, wednesday early evening, east of the pacific ocean, selectee for truly random and boring Parking lot photo of the moment grand platinum prize winner!

2011 JK
    EVO Bolt-on Coilovers, EVO 1/4 pounder w/ stinger, 37" Cooper STT Pros, PR44, and some EVO stuff

Awaiting install-
    On Order-
    Want list- Evo carrier and skins, PSC hydro assis

jlwrangler.com

Quote Originally Posted by WJCO View Post
    Sure looks better. About how much louder do you think it is like that?
    On acceleration, it's definitely louder but nothing too bad. I think it's the tone that bugs me the most. Fortunately, on the highway pushing 2400 rpm, it isn't so noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by cozdude View Post
    Nice! No more exhaust hangers needed! Lol.

Does it drone a lot like this or just loud like the old pre axle dump for the jk?
    Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have a drone or at least, one that would bug the hell out of me and make me want to go back to stock. We'll have to give it more time and testing to know for sure though.

That's a good exit point for the tailpipe. Better than where the JK's dump - right ahead of the rear axle. Probably much less drone. Mine is borderline annoying on long trips. I end up wearing wireless headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddays View Post
    That's a good exit point for the tailpipe. Better than where the JK's dump - right ahead of the rear axle. Probably much less drone. Mine is borderline annoying on long trips. I end up wearing wireless headphones.
    Oh, believe me, if there were a drone, I would pull this thing off and reinstall the OE muffler. So far, at highway speeds, all seems okay. I can definitely hear that it sounds different but it's not horrible. I think I notice the sound most on startup/idle and when heavy on the throttle.

That dude from Mississippi notnalc68's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
    Oh, believe me, if there were a drone, I would pull this thing off and reinstall the OE muffler. So far, at highway speeds, all seems okay. I can definitely hear that it sounds different but it's not horrible. I think I notice the sound most on startup/idle and when heavy on the throttle.
    I wonder what a race bullet would do to the tone?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Build Thread-- http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?3...l-II-The-Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by notnalc68 View Post
    I wonder what a race bullet would do to the tone?

I'd have to think it'd help but you just can't make a fiddle sound like a cello.

I’m one of those weird people that likes how a straight piped 3.6 sounds. I’ve been running no muffler on mine for almost two years now.

Captain Imachurity
    2003 WJ Build Thread
    2017 Gobi JKU Build Thread
    2016 Renegade Sport Build Thread
    2019 Compass Sport Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by longarmwj View Post
    I’m one of those weird people that likes how a straight piped 3.6 ....
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. We know all about your fondness of 3.6 inch straight pipes.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast