Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VIDEO - JL JOURNAL : A BAD VIBE - Tracking Down & Fixing Driveshaft Vibrations

Great info. Are those king bump stops on the side table for Jet

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    So let me start off saying Iím a big fan! I enjoy your videos, especially the travel ones where you explore trails and talk about the history of the areas you visit. And I always learn alot from you and the people on this forum. So please take what Iím about to say as curiosity, not criticism.

In case of your driveshaft issue, I have some questions. Iím not here to defend Adamís or any other maker, as it seems youíre not a big fan of branded shafts with cool stickers. I like to support my local vendors too and quite frankly, Iíve had more issues with local 4x4 driveline shops than the big brands.

If I follow your build sequences, it seems you had a short Evo lift, then a Rancho lift and then an even taller Rancho lift. Before the last lift, somewhere in there you put on the new Adamís shafts and it sounded like you were happy. Do you think with all the lift changes, pinion and caster changes, not to mention the new front axle, all those things combined had an effect on the Adamís shafts performance? It sounds like (obviously) the Adamís shafts you bought werenít sized properly for the new lift and axle changes. Is it then Adamís fault the shafts were over-extended and not performing well because of the change in lifts, axle, pinion and caster? Did your local driveline shop confirm that the Adamís shafts were not balanced properly? But if thatís true then how were they working well before the new lift? Are shafts balanced per lift height?

Why didnít you give Adamís a call (Maybe you did) and tell them your problem and give them a chance to make a wrong a right? If you did call them, did they not want to help you fix the problem? I doubt if you had an issue with your new Dynatrac axle you would have gone to your local axle shop and have them fix it and then say Dynatrac screwed up. Youíd let Dynatrac or any of the other brands stuck to the side of your Jeep make the wrong a right. Which as respected brands, they should, especially when you support their products.

I suppose now IĎll get lots of forum backlash coming to your defense! Ha! Seriously, Iím just trying to understand. I trust your judgement and professionalism. I run some of the brands you support, because I see them work on your Jeep, therefore, Iím less skeptical, so I trust that theyíll work for my applications.

Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by Fionayeti View Post
    So let me start off saying Iím a big fan! I enjoy your videos, especially the travel ones where you explore trails and talk about the history of the areas you visit. And I always learn alot from you and the people on this forum. So please take what Iím about to say as curiosity, not criticism.

In case of your driveshaft issue, I have some questions. Iím not here to defend Adamís or any other maker, as it seems youíre not a big fan of branded shafts with cool stickers. I like to support my local vendors too and quite frankly, Iíve had more issues with local 4x4 driveline shops than the big brands.

If I follow your build sequences, it seems you had a short Evo lift, then a Rancho lift and then an even taller Rancho lift. Before the last lift, somewhere in there you put on the new Adamís shafts and it sounded like you were happy. Do you think with all the lift changes, pinion and caster changes, not to mention the new front axle, all those things combined had an effect on the Adamís shafts performance? It sounds like (obviously) the Adamís shafts you bought werenít sized properly for the new lift and axle changes. Is it then Adamís fault the shafts were over-extended and not performing well because of the change in lifts, axle, pinion and caster? Did your local driveline shop confirm that the Adamís shafts were not balanced properly? But if thatís true then how were they working well before the new lift? Are shafts balanced per lift height?

Why didnít you give Adamís a call (Maybe you did) and tell them your problem and give them a chance to make a wrong a right? If you did call them, did they not want to help you fix the problem? I doubt if you had an issue with your new Dynatrac axle you would have gone to your local axle shop and have them fix it and then say Dynatrac screwed up. Youíd let Dynatrac or any of the other brands stuck to the side of your Jeep make the wrong a right. Which as respected brands, they should, especially when you support their products.

I suppose now IĎll get lots of forum backlash coming to your defense! Ha! Seriously, Iím just trying to understand. I trust your judgement and professionalism. I run some of the brands you support, because I see them work on your Jeep, therefore, Iím less skeptical, so I trust that theyíll work for my applications.

Keep up the great work!
    Youíre a fucking idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
    RECOMMENDED JEEP PARTS & ACCESSORIES

2012 Dozer JK
    -Dynatrac PR44/Rubicon Rear
    -Nitto 37Ē Trail Grapplers
    -Rock Krawler 2.5Ē Lift
    -ATX Slabs
    -Warn VR8
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

2012 Billet Silver JKUR
    -EVO DTD front and rear
    -Dynatrac PR60/PR80
    -EVO High Clearance Long Arm
    -Nitto 40Ē Trail grapplers
    -KMC Machetes
    -JE Reel 1410/1350 Driveshafts
    -Warn CTI 9.5
    -EVO Armor/Bumpers

1975 DJ5

So....blah blah blah........
    Did you watch the actual video and pay attention to it?

SUMMARY:

Test drive in the beginning verified a driveline vibration.

Front shaft was removed and vibration was still there but quieter. So they also removed the rear shaft.
    Both shafts taken to driveline shop and rebalanced both and the front also had to have length changed.

Rear put back on, quiet as can be. That fixed the rear vibration.

Front put back on, again quiet as can be. That fixed the front vibration.

The only variable removed from the equation and repaired was the drive shafts. That's what was wrong with it.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Quote Originally Posted by pop2tu View Post
    Great video, I have learned just becuase something is new doesnít mean it is good. Glad you got those shafts balanced
    It's tough because you would think that something new would NOT be the source of a problem. Makes finding said problem that much harder. But, all is good now

Quote Originally Posted by -AINOKEA- View Post
    Iím pretty sure I have this same problem on my front d/s as well. 90% of it goes away when I pull it. Problem is we donít have a local shop to balance or fab one here.... very frustrating. Glad you got yours fixed though!
    Well that sucks that you don't have anyone local to work with. But, before you do anything, I would confirm that your caster is set to 4į. More than that and that can give you vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkfan View Post
    I agree. I have a vibe at 62 to 65 mph. I'm getting mine checked soon. Thanks for the great info Eddie and Cindy.
    As mentioned, be sure to verify that your caster is set to factory 4į and that your rear pinion is in line with your drive shaft. If all that checks out, THEN look into getting a rebalance.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy5160 View Post
    Great info. Are those king bump stops on the side table for Jet
    LOL!! Good eye.

Iíve had a bad rear driveline vibration before...it appeared that I knocked off a weight on the trail (Rubicon) and had to drive back to Seattle while trying to find the perfect speed that minimized the vibration...it sucked.

Thank you for the informative video...it had a good vibe...

Good informative video, too me it kinda looks like it's easier to change a shaft on a jl compared to a jk, like easier access. But maybe not

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Fresh Catch
    Yup I watched. Just wondering why Adam's didn't fix the problem. Sorry to offend that SoCal libtard and yourself. I don't think calling people F-ing idiots is helpful. Just trying to understand.

Sorry to offend that SoCal libtard and yourself.
    I'm far from offended.

As far as SoCal libtards, not sure who you're referring to, but if it's Overlander, he's probably the furthest thing away from a libtard on that political spectrum.
    Jeep parts and accessories purchased through the following link will help support this forum and at no cost to you.

Support the JL forum: JLWRANGLER.COM

Jeep JT GLADIATOR FORUM: www.JT-Gladiator.com

Yup I watched. Just wondering why Adam's didn't fix the problem. Sorry to offend that SoCal libtard and yourself. I don't think calling people F-ing idiots is helpful. Just trying to understand.
    He changed pinion angle and caster a bunch so im pretty sure that means he was trying to dial in with his lift height. Plus, while I may be wrong, the 3.5 Rancho is the only lift he's ran with aftermarket driveshafts on Jet Li. On top of all that, knowing Eddie, I would assume be would go with what he knows and can get him going fast and correctly, rather than weeks off drawn out time for the manufacturer to hopefully get it right, it's one thing when you know and trust them to fix it..I also don't think he was so much griping about the cost to fix as much as the difference in original cost, just my thoughts though.

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast